cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Quit Smoking and Live

For those of us with COPD who have Quit Smoking - Hooray!

There are some of us that quit from time to time and have never made the total commitment for a Smoke FREE Life. 

And there are some who just got the diagnosis and are now determined to quit but haven't yet.

So I want to remind ALL of us that smoking with COPD is a literal sentence for a miserable short life! 

COPD is a smoking related incurable progressive disease. It will never get better - only worse!

Smoking cessation is the only reliable treatment to slow the progression of your COPD and help you maintain the lung function you have left. ... If you're a smoker with COPD, you can noticeably improve your health by putting your cigarettes away for good.

Everybody starts to lose some of their lung capacity as they age. A non-smoker loses about 30 cubic centimeters of FEV per year, starting between age 30 and 40. COPD smokers lose about 100 cubic centimeters per year. But if a COPD smoker stops smoking, that loss drops down to almost the same rate as a non-smoker."

Figure 1

You can take your meds, do your exercises, eat your right foods, have your vaccinations, etc...etc...etc... But if you don't quit smoking the rapid progression of your lung capacity is inevitable. 

That means more shortness of breath, more hospitalizations, more missed time with your family, more disability, more risk of pneumonia, collapsed lung, and eventually a very early death. Everythiing is harder once you drop below the 50% mark of FEV1% predicted. 

I keep these facts in mind every single time I feel challenged to pick up a Sickerette. I suffer enough already and I sure don't want my quality of Life to deteriorate. I also want to see my grandchildren grow up rather than them watching me die sloooowly and torturously! I have the power to decide what to do about that! My decision is LIFE!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
7 Replies
MarilynH

Thankfully for me learning that I have mild copd was enough to scare the living crap out of me and when I first let myself be known here someone directed me to your page and to let you know that I was here, you really educated me on copd which really helped my resolve to stay in my quit for the rest of my life because breathing is essential to living and I want to enjoy a much better quality of living so I thank you Thomas.

TerrieQuit

Quitting smoking has made all the difference for me. I was 24/7 on oxygen, quit smoking and after a year had it only at night when I went back for my last set of tests although my Copd is in end moderate my # went from 58 to 66 (that's not blood ox, actually I am not sure what that means, only that it's good) and I am off oxygen completely. Currently using only Spiriva handi-haler, symbiont, and pro-air or nebulizer for rescue.

(I need to learn to ask more of the right questions, having a brain injury/damage is not helpful with this!))    ~Terrie~

Terrie, the 58 and 66 are called FEV1% of predicted. Basically it comes down to your lung capacity. And yes that is a wonderful improvement! Congratulations! 

FEV1% is measured by a Spirometry Test and more accurately by a PFT  (Pulmonary Function Test).   FEV1% predicted is FEV1% of the patient divided by the average FEV1% in the population for any person of similar age, sex and body composition. , it is FEV1% predicted that defines when a patient has COPD—that is, when the patient's FEV1% is less than 88% of the predicted value for men, or less than 89% for women. Your FEV1 is the amount of air you can forcefully blow out of your lungs in one second  FEV1 means Forced air Expired Volume in one second. So you, Terrie, can blow out forcefully 66% of the air in one second that somebody who has your age, gender and weight can. I don't understand why Doctors don't explain this stuff to us! I guess they think we're dumb! But we're smart!

karenjones

Exactally.  Not sure if Dr.s think we are dumb, but most people also do not want to know. Just want a magic pill. And in all fairness to Dr.s they are not there to tutor us in physiology, and it is not too difficult to understand most of it. I've got a Bio degree so for me it is not too difficult.  Consider someone who dropped out of school in grade 11 though. They might think it is overwhelming. You are smart. But some people arent and don't want to be. 

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

There is a lot I need to learn about my condition, yet. Thomas3.20.2010  your information and comments are so helpful, Thank-You!   ~Terrie~

0 Kudos

Understanding Your Breathing Test Results 

I ask for all copies of all tests run on me and I learn how to interpret the results. Any questions I have I ask the nurse and if (s)he doesn't know (which she will never admit) I ask the doctor and if (s)he doesn't know  (even less likely to admit!) I ask the pulmonologist. I keep asking until I understand because these are my lungs - not theirs! And they don't have a clue about how it really feels to live with lung disease!

TerrieQuit

Thanks for that explanation of those #s Thomas although I didn't know exactly what they meant I knew it had to be good because I got off the oxygen, the C.O.P.D. continues to slowly get worse. It has been very helpful that I quit smoking. Your posts help me understand things so much better than the Dr. Thanks for your time. They sure don't give much of theirs! Maybe I should be paying you! lol! Have a great day!