cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bonniebee

Blogging .. right way or a wrong way on Ex..... open for discussion

My own opinion is  it should be whatever is on ones mind,  if they have the need to share, or vent ,or ask for help, or tell their  story or just  share what is going on in there life or in there quit . It is how i have gotten to know other Ex'ers .

I don't think there should be rules or comparisons . Sometimes a blog is written so well and is so inspiring that it is  shared to the Best of Ex . I don't think others should feel  intimidated if they cannot "compete " with the Best .  

I did write many more blogs in my early weeks and months because I needed that daily communication and support. Now I mainly read and comment on the blogs . 

Tags (1)
32 Replies

That's the way it was on the old site. You could blog whatever you please when ever you please. But here I sense that things get moved around regularly because the powers that be deem them more appropriate in another place. There are a lot of places around here. It's like the Louvre - so full of treasures you can't find what you need when you need it! Priority is for popularity. If a lot of folks view and respond to your blog it goes to the front of the list and if for whatever reasons it doesn't get viewed much or enough comments it just falls off the page pretty quickly! Still there - but nobody can find it. Just my humble opinion. Maybe more feelings than fact.

bonniebee

Wow Thomas I didn't realize it was working that way . It will be harder to get to "know " people this way . I hope the newbies don't get discouraged and leave .

sophia-22

I agree I think there are too many places on this site. It's very confusing to the user and the only ones who know where everything should be and is are the administrators. Maybe the way this site is structured is better for the site administrators to maintain. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thomas3.20.2010 wrote:

That's the way it was on the old site. You could blog whatever you please when ever you please. 

You still can.

Thomas3.20.2010 wrote:

But here I sense that things get moved around regularly because the powers that be deem them more appropriate in another place. There are a lot of places around here. It's like the Louvre - so full of treasures you can't find what you need when you need it! 

Even the Lourvre has a Curator (Community Manager). He or She makes sure the art gets put in it's place so the tour guides can give tours.  Similarly the Ambassadors of the site can direct people where to post their questions, find a group that might interest them or share their quit journey.  There are lots of places in the Louvre but everything is well organized.  What the Louvre doesn't have is Search. Or maybe they do have an "app" that allows you to look for your favorite piece of art and then it navigates you to the place it is.

I move quitting related things out of Community Help‌ and Community related things into Community Help‌.  This way you all can help others with quitting and anyone who wants to help with the software can help.  If there is something more specific related to a social group, I sometimes recommend moving it to one of them.  Sootie‌ mentioned a post she made where I made the recommendation.  I left the decision up to her.  

Thomas3.20.2010 wrote:

Priority is for popularity. If a lot of folks view and respond to your blog it goes to the front of the list and if for whatever reasons it doesn't get viewed much or enough comments it just falls off the page pretty quickly! Still there - but nobody can find it. Just my humble opinion. Maybe more feelings than fact.

We're not going for popularity.  There isn't any priority given to popularity except for possibly in the "recommended content". Still there are other factors than views and # of comments in the algorithms that populate those widgets.  

Regrettably the default sort for pages can't be set to Newest to Oldest by date created.  If it were, we would work to configure the pages like that. We have been able to make some changes on certain pages when you click to view the content that it will open up with that type of default sort.  And on the Home page the blogs are sorted from Newest to Oldest.  We don't have the same luxury with the Discussions/Questions/Status Updates widget. It goes by recent activity.  New things will show up at the top and when something gets a comment it will move back up to the top.  You can always go to the Content page and sort by Newest to Oldest by date created. You could even bookmark that page in your browser to get to it easily.

If you wanted to focus on questions you could go to all questions and sort by all questions, only open questions, the answered ones or the ones with helpful answers.  Perhaps there will be a sort option some day to sort from Newest to Oldest by date created and have an option to show only the content with no replies/comments.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Bonnie, I could be totally wrong - I'm saying my perception but I know nothing about computers!

elvan

I worry about where to post because I am not always sure if blog or conversation is more appropriate but I have been sticking to blog when I write.  I posted in conversations when I couldn't get the site to work but it was moved to community help because that is where it belonged but I really did not know where to put it.  It takes TIME...

JACKIE1-25-15

It all works out. 

Hey there! 

Only been working with this new format for a couple of days, but I have to agree that I'm never sure of where to post and one thing I miss is that I used to be able to scroll down the page in chronological order of how posts were posted. Often I would go to the second page or third page just to be sure no one was being ignored, or missed.

Perhaps an option to sort posts chronologically, taking the popularity out of the mix would be useful. I'd hate to think that someone new to the site falls through the cracks because no one is aware of their new posts. Since I'm so new to the new format, I don't know if it's me that just doesn't understand the right place to go or if people used to the site are having the same problem, but that's my two cents, for whatever that's worth -:)

Chuck

Jennifer-Quit

That option is there Chuck - you can view by "date created" or "latest activity" anywhere you look. Things are moved - but the intentions are good - if someone asks a question in the "blog" section, then if Mark thinks it will benefit more by being in the community help section, then he moves it.  It does not mean that you were wrong - just better suited for another area.