cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bree19

Am I logged out automatically if I am reading but not posting?

Jump to solution

Oh hello me maties!  I'm just so happy to see you all!  Felt lost there for a while...all good now.  I have another question:  I'm not a "log-out" kind of person.  I just like to stay connected (yes - abandonment issues).  I noticed on Tuesday and today that I'm being asked to log on.   When I'm going through everything in inbox, I don't have the option of responding/liking/anything....I can only read.   I then eventually notice somewhere that it tells me to log in.  I do this and all is well again with my egocentric little world.  The question is (finally), does the system log me out if I only read everything and I'm not being active on the site?  SUCH a story for such a simple question.

Bree

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bree19 wrote:

Oh hello me maties!  I'm just so happy to see you all!  Felt lost there for a while...all good now.  I have another question:  I'm not a "log-out" kind of person.  I just like to stay connected (yes - abandonment issues).  I noticed on Tuesday and today that I'm being asked to log on.   When I'm going through everything in inbox, I don't have the option of responding/liking/anything....I can only read.   I then eventually notice somewhere that it tells me to log in.  I do this and all is well again with my egocentric little world.  The question is (finally), does the system log me out if I only read everything and I'm not being active on the site?  SUCH a story for such a simple question.

Bree

I branched this to its own question because it was unrelated to the topic you had posted it on.  In the future, please try to put one question per post. This helps other who have the same question find the answer easier as we're only able to highlight one answer per question.

Our login process auto-logs you out after a period of inactivity.  If you are actively on the site reading and  changing pages every so often it should keep you logged in. If you are on a page for a while and your session expires, then when you change pages it will go back to guest mode.  If you were in your "Inbox" then you had to have been logged in.  Inbox is only available if you are logged in. The like and Helpful (if a question) buttons are available in the inbox but there are some other actions are not available unless you view the content in context.  

If you were in the inbox and your session timed out and you went to click the like or helpful button it should have asked you to login and then return to the inbox.  The problem is that with the inbox it remembers the read state of your notifications, so if your session timed out while reading a notification, when you log back in and return  to the inbox the item will be marked read.  There is no specific URL in your inbox for items so the login on redirect URL will just bring you back to the inbox.

We don't currently have a "Remember me" function on the site but you can have your browser remember the login information so it simplifies the process.  When the session times out you will need to click the login link to initiate a login to return to the site in a logged in state to resume participation so that the options of commenting/liking/posting reappear.

I think this should answer all of your questions. Not knowing the exact specifics of what happened I can't exactly answer your question but the above should give you an idea of how to stay active so that your session doesn't expire.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bree19 wrote:

Bree

I branched this to its own question because it was unrelated to the topic you had posted it on.  In the future, please try to put one question per post. This helps other who have the same question find the answer easier as we're only able to highlight one answer per question.

Our login process auto-logs you out after a period of inactivity.  If you are actively on the site reading and  changing pages every so often it should keep you logged in. If you are on a page for a while and your session expires, then when you change pages it will go back to guest mode.  If you were in your "Inbox" then you had to have been logged in.  Inbox is only available if you are logged in. The like and Helpful (if a question) buttons are available in the inbox but there are some other actions are not available unless you view the content in context.  

If you were in the inbox and your session timed out and you went to click the like or helpful button it should have asked you to login and then return to the inbox.  The problem is that with the inbox it remembers the read state of your notifications, so if your session timed out while reading a notification, when you log back in and return  to the inbox the item will be marked read.  There is no specific URL in your inbox for items so the login on redirect URL will just bring you back to the inbox.

We don't currently have a "Remember me" function on the site but you can have your browser remember the login information so it simplifies the process.  When the session times out you will need to click the login link to initiate a login to return to the site in a logged in state to resume participation so that the options of commenting/liking/posting reappear.

I think this should answer all of your questions. Not knowing the exact specifics of what happened I can't exactly answer your question but the above should give you an idea of how to stay active so that your session doesn't expire.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Bree19

Thanks Mark.  It answered everything for now.  Bree

0 Kudos