cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

What's for Dinner?

Did you know that what you eat can make a big difference in how you feel with COPD?

There are a lot of reasons for that beginning with the fact that we are constantly in a state of inflammation. So let's see what an anti-inflammatory diet looks like:

11 Food Rules For The Ultimate Anti-Inflammatory Diet - mindbodygreen 

Another consideration is that our lungs are overinflated with dead air which pushes down on our diaphragm so when we over eat our stomachs push up on the diaphragm and that poor muscle which helps us breathe can't do it's job! So think about eating 6 - 8 little meals a day instead of 2 - 3 big ones!

Whoa! Who has time (and energy) to do all of that prep? Well, you don't have to cook more often - just split up the portions and eat mini-meals.

There are a few things that are off-limits: Don't worry! You can still have coffee!

Foods to Avoid with COPD | Lung Institute 

The only one of these I think are confusing is cruciferous vegetables. Broccoli has been found to be very beneficial to lung health. But I  always have a glass of  water with a pinch of baking soda and a squirt of lime juice in it which settles the gas.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20378-broccoli-helps-clear-damaged-lungs/ 

Speaking of veggies - I can't stress enough how important it is to eat your fruit and vegetables! 

Eating fruits and vegetables reduces lung disease risk - Medical News Today 

But all fruit is not created equal! Stick to nonacidic fruit and veggies, a.k.a. alkaline:

Alkaline-Acid Food Charts | Greenopedia 

Don't get overwhelmed! Keep a nutrition journal. Decide on two items you will eliminate and add two items you haven't been eating but sound good!

Within a Month you will feel way better and breathe better!

What's for Dinner?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
7 Replies
TerrieQuit

Nice article, Thomas! Thanks to some of your previous posts and working with my pulmonologist I eat well and I'm in pretty good shape.

I do have a ? for you. I have sinus infections and have searched to see if they might have anything to do with my COPD. My Dr has been kinda vague about this. I constantly have issues with sinuses. Do you have any thoughts? I am pretty sure it is what keeps me yellow and running low-grade fevers at night. I don't like taking all the antibiotics and steroids because, I constantly have thrush, even though I follow all the procedures after I use my Symbicort!

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, I wish I woulda never smoked!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

You may want to try Neti Pot. does wonders for sinus infections. Only use sterile water or distilled water though, never tap water.

0 Kudos
elvan

This is great information, Thomas.  I try to stick to these recommendations for my RA as well as my COPD, when I falter, I can usually trace it back to either diet or unsafe activity.

freeneasy

Very interesting. Thanks Thomas

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Great information Thomas! I eat very clean diet. Coffee is one thing and chocolate....that upset my GERD, so I normally stick to green tea.Very good things to know that you shared, Thanks!

0 Kudos
constanceclum

Great info Thomas. This is one of those things that I just strive to do my best. There has also been studies showing a relationship with vitamin D and decreased flare-ups. I take 5000 IU/day of D3.

Connie