cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if a person deactivates?

Jump to solution

If a person deactivates their account, can you reactivate it at a later date?  Is there an e-mail that is sent or a link that you can use to sign up again or no?  Is all of their content erased from the site then or kept for a period of time?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

People can't deactivate themselves.  They can ask for me to deactivate them and I will do so.  Once deactivated they will not be able to log back in to community until they request their account is made active again.  They can use the Contact Us form found at the bottom of every page to ask for their account to be re-enabled.  I'll happily do so and they'll resume from where they left off. We don't delete their information though. It stays.  They can't be notified or direct messaged during that time that they're deactivated. All of the notifications for them stop. Their avatar image also goes gray as well.

There is also a functionality whereby people who don't login after a period of time that their account goes inactive. They can come back and login again and resume posting to reactivate their account.  I don't have all the specifics on this yet (how long since last login and if notifications stop).  This happens automatically though.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

People can't deactivate themselves.  They can ask for me to deactivate them and I will do so.  Once deactivated they will not be able to log back in to community until they request their account is made active again.  They can use the Contact Us form found at the bottom of every page to ask for their account to be re-enabled.  I'll happily do so and they'll resume from where they left off. We don't delete their information though. It stays.  They can't be notified or direct messaged during that time that they're deactivated. All of the notifications for them stop. Their avatar image also goes gray as well.

There is also a functionality whereby people who don't login after a period of time that their account goes inactive. They can come back and login again and resume posting to reactivate their account.  I don't have all the specifics on this yet (how long since last login and if notifications stop).  This happens automatically though.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

thank you, Mark.  I've seen this asked a few times but I didn't know what happened to the content (blogs) that they created.

0 Kudos

It's a great question. Certainly some people feel that they need to take a break or that they're done using the site.  Their quit journey is definitely valuable to others even if they choose to leave.  Furthermore anyone who has commented on their content (blogs, discussions, polls, questions, etc.) shouldn't lose out and have their replies lost just because someone chooses to leave.  That certainly wouldn't be fair to the people who spent time responding.  

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

I agree.  there's so many good blogs out there and some that I even refer back to from time to time or that I've bookmarked.  I was just wondering if there was some type of retention policy or time limit.  thanks for the quick response.

0 Kudos