cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

John10forteen

Where will this appear on the home page?

I'm on the Conversations tab on the home page starting a discussion. I believe all the green Blogs are in the left column and everything else goes to the right column. looking at the time stamp (of both columns) gives an idea of current real time activity.

Note: my last 4 blogs on the left are part of this testing stuff. That's it for me today. I think I learned a little bit, and hopefully helped.

I know the Publish Location is pertinent as to whether it shows up on the home page in the left or the right column, I also believe the time stamp is intermixed between the two columns.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Conversations 

That's where I go now when I come to the site. It's in order but I think if you go to the home page, the blogs move as comments are made on them.

Is that right Mark

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007 wrote:

Conversations 

That's where I go now when I come to the site. It's in order but I think if you go to the home page, the blogs move as comments are made on them.

Is that right Mark

Discussions/Questions/Status Updates move as comments are made.  Blogs don't move as far as I can see.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

John10forteen‌ wrote:

I'm on the Conversations tab on the home page starting a discussion. I believe all the green Blogs are in the left column and everything else goes to the right column. looking at the time stamp (of both columns) gives an idea of current real time activity.

Blogs are on Left and  Discussions/Questions/Status Updates are on the right

Yes timestamp is of last comment/reply.

John10forteen‌ wrote:

I know the Publish Location is pertinent as to whether it shows up on the home page in the left or the right column, I also believe the time stamp is intermixed between the two columns.

If you're on the home page when you create something you'll need to pick the publish location.  Spaces in color are selectable. Grayed out ones are not allowed. If you're deeper within the community it will contextually put a default location if that content type is allowed their if using the pencil button.  If using actions button then it will only provide the content types allowed in that place.  If using a button on a widget/tile within the place then it will automatically default to posting there.  The Blogs on the left are blogs from across the entire site. It will say if it is in Conversations or in John10forteen Blog below the subject.  This discussion was posted in Conversations.

Updated:

The timestamp on each row relates to the last comment in the discussion on the discussions.  On the left side it indicates when the blog was published. 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
John10forteen

If I'm understanding this correctly, on the home page, The Blogs (left column) time-stamp stays true to the original post and and does not reflect the latest or last reply. 

The right column which covers everything else except blogs is displayed per the last reply or comment time-stamp to any other discussion or question on the site. The right side is an ever evolving topic of discussion prioritized in order by whoever has the last word on whatever topic until someone else has the last word on any other topic.

This is great to understand, if indeed I got it right. If I want to bring a subject to the forefront of the community, I could get it into a discussion format or any other (Not a blog) that gets listed on the right and then anyone commenting and such and it will always stay current, as to where the blogs get dated away.

If i understand it, this is really good. Blogging (Say it and be done) or Conversing / Questions /  Discussions (Talk about it and it may come back to the top of the list next week to talk about some more with someone else.)

Thanks Mark JonesCarpeDiem (for your input too)

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

John10forteen wrote:

If I'm understanding this correctly, on the home page, The Blogs (left column) time-stamp stays true to the original post and and does not reflect the latest or last reply. 

Correct

John10forteen wrote: 

The right column which covers everything else except blogs is displayed per the last reply or comment time-stamp to any other discussion or question on the site. The right side is an ever evolving topic of discussion prioritized in order by whoever has the last word on whatever topic until someone else has the last word on any other topic.)

Right column only covers Discussions/Questions/Status Updates. Documents, Polls, People, External Content, Direct Messages, Bookmarks, Events, and Videos are not shown here. It's showing the Discussions/Questions/Status Updates when they're posted and when they receive comments. Your understanding is correct.

John10forteen wrote:

This is great to understand, if indeed I got it right. If I want to bring a subject to the forefront of the community, I could get it into a discussion format or any other (Not a blog) that gets listed on the right and then anyone commenting and such and it will always stay current, as to where the blogs get dated away.

Correct. On the home page anyway.  The https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/content and https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/ page will always default you of into the content with the latest activity by comments but you can re-sort to newest to oldest by date created.

John10forteen wrote:

If i understand it, this is really good. Blogging (Say it and be done) or Conversing / Questions /  Discussions (Talk about it and it may come back to the top of the list next week to talk about some more with someone else.)

Blogging is more long format where you want to share a story or full thought. It may spark commentary or it may not. So the ability of it becoming timeless is an option. Discussion/Question is more light and quick and may be ongoing for a while. As new people come to the site hopefully they search and find their questions and see previous responses and then join in the conversation. Seeing things appear in the right column gives you a sense of who's "online" based on the timestamp.  Similarly, if you see a recently posted blog, then that person might still be online. If not, when you respond, they'll get notified and hopefully come right back.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
TerrieQuit

Good to know! Thanks, John10forteen JonesCarpeDiem Mark 

0 Kudos