cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

One Size Does Not Fit All

Your COPD is not like my COPD or anybody else's. COPD is a blanket term for a variety of obstructive diseases that come together. The most frequently mentioned include chronic bronchitis and emphysema. But they are not the only ones and most likely you will have more than 2. 

This one reason GP Drs don't have the expertise (and any the interest) treat your illness alone. 

It;s also a very good reason that you need to understand your COPD.

Mine, for example, is more of a cough than shortness of breath although I have both and I'm particularly vulnerable to barometric changes. I have sinusitis and allergy symptoms all of the time But as you may have noticed, I am still able to stay very active 

My diagnosis includes chronic bronchitis, emphysema, asthma, bronchiectasis, and chronic allergies. 

So why do they say COPD? Because one obstructive disease causes and inflames another. You can't treat them one by one. 

COPD is as blanket a term as Cancer. You have COPD? What kind? BUT have you ever been asked this question? I haven't! Health Care Professionals treat it all the same. I've even been given the wrong medicine (Azithromycin) to treat a flare-up. Only by knowing your illness and it's cluster diseases can you get effective treatment. 

So what kind of COPD do you have?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TerrieQuit

Hi, Thomas, this is a great post, I was not aware that is was here. There doesn't seem to be anything telling me that you have posted something here. I will try to remember to check it more often. 

This is what I have been afraid of with these posts and the daily promises, that is why I blew up the other day. If people can't see what we bother to post, why bother? Now that's a winning attitude, NO!!! But it is how I feel!

I will look for these posts from you more often because I am really interested! Thanks, Thomas!    ~Terrie~

0 Kudos