cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c2q

Notifications About Site Activity is inconsistent

I do not consistently get notification in my inbox on site activity close to me, even when I am a participant in the discussion or when I have  checked under actions to actively follow it.

What should I do?

0 Kudos
31 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let's narrow it down to a discussion or question or blog and ensure you're following it and then do some tests.  That would be the only way we can narrow it down.  

How do you know you're missing things? What is your indicator?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
c2q

I know I am missing things because I go into a discussion thread, which adds to it's view count, and see new posts that I have not received notifications for.

But new problem takes precedent however. Now my notifications are stuck in a loop, repeating from about 6 hours ago but not updating. 

0 Kudos

c2q wrote:

I know I am missing things because I go into a discussion thread, which adds to it's view count, and see new posts that I have not received notifications for.

I'll need to know more specifics in order to look into it. Getting specific examples will help me understand what is happening so that I can assist in having this looked at further.  I'll need to know what blog/discussion/question/document you are referring to.  Whether you are getting inbox and email notifications or just inbox.  

Here's an example of what could be happening...

You are following "Jan" and "Stan" in your inbox. Jan and Stan Post in a question about Lollipops.  Lucy comes in and posts a comment in the question about lollipops.  You receive notifications for Stan and Jan's posts but nothing from Lucy. This is because you're following Stan and Jan but not Lucy.  You're not necessarily subscribed to the topic about Lollipops but you get notifications based on your following.  If you go and view the topic, you'll see Lucy and whomever else you're not following, including Stan and Jan's.  If you have commented on the topic and you were subscribed but then chose to "hide new activity" or have unfollowed from the Actions drop down that would also possibly cause some notifications not to appear while others persist.

c2q wrote:

But new problem takes precedent however. Now my notifications are stuck in a loop, repeating from about 6 hours ago but not updating. 

Notifications are being looked at as well.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Any updates on this?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

I've been trying to figure out the best way to demonstrate the problem I have. Basically, I do still sometimes get notifications for content by people I'm following, and sometimes I don't. It's inconsistent. I also actively select follow for the new EX Cafe each day it's running. Sometimes I get notifications about a new comment, sometimes I don't. I ran out of time today when I was trying to show an example from this morning. I'll try again tomorrow or Friday. 

Thanks Mark.

0 Kudos

Are you following some people in inbox and others not in inbox?  Mentions ignore your "follow" notification preferences for just in my ex feed or ex feed and inbox.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

No, I pretty much follow everyone I share comments with. I am saying that when there is new activity in a discussion that I follow, by people that I follow, I sometimes get notifications and I sometimes do not. I am not talking about mentions. Maybe it has to do with when someone replies to another comment as opposed to the original post?

0 Kudos

c2q wrote:

No, I pretty much follow everyone I share comments with. I am saying that when there is new activity in a discussion that I follow, by people that I follow, I sometimes get notifications and I sometimes do not. I am not talking about mentions. Maybe it has to do with when someone replies to another comment as opposed to the original post?

following-sootie.png

Shouldn't have anything to do with the original post vs a post on another comment.

Following and Following in inbox are two different things for both people and content.  You won't receive a notification if you have unclicked inbox or have clicked hide new activity in inbox. You'll only see the content in My EX Feed if you've clicked Following. If you're following a discussion but have unclicked inbox for that discussion you'll only see it in my ex feed. If you are following a person in inbox, I have to check to see if you get inbox notifications both for content they author and content they participate in as well even when you aren't specifically following that content. Content they author is a given but I'm just not sure about content they respond/comment on that you haven't participated in.

Are you following any social groups or communities? If you are, are you getting any inbox notifications for them?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

too much.

We must let it rest, Horatio.