cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I really need to do this!

Tomorrow is my quit date. And tomorrow marks one year at my dream job. I am so happy with so many aspects of my life, but my smoking makes me really unhappy. I feel like I am better then that. I am sick of hiding and smoking. My doctor prescribed me the patch. I tried with a vape before and I caught myself sucking on that all of the time. I tried cold turkey and that didn't work. I hope the patch and my frame of mind helps me quit and stay quit! I want to post in one year that I have been smoke free!

13 Replies
maryfreecig

Welcome, glad to see you here. Quitting is doable and sharing the journey with those who have taken it is a good way to keep yourself focused on your goal.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/5711492/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Thank you so much for sending me those links and all the helpful advice.

0 Kudos

hey, welcome aboard.  Have you done the reading and the steps laid out under my quit plan (located at top of page, right-hand side)?  Please take the time to move through the steps that they suggest on there

0 Kudos

I quit while using the patch myself. I couldn't do cold turkey either. Don't consider that to be a weakness. I found the patch to be more of a security blanket or rather, the thing that allowed me to get over the fear of quitting by "giving me training wheels". The thing to remember about the patch is that you'll still feel the craves, though not nearly as bad. Also, each time you step down on the patches, there are stronger cravings, but they only last a day or two. I considered those step down days to be practice for the day that I finally took off my last patch.

You mentioned that your frame of mind was one that is ready. That's a huge plus! Take the advice of others above about preparing for your quit. Preparation is key to putting the mind, heart and body in agreement. Read all you can. If you can successfully take that first step on the road to freedom, you can make it!!

Get ready for the ride of your life! And it's not all bad. There is so much to look forward to! Look to your bright future, even when your mind is screaming at you. Stay focused on all that you're about to achieve and never give up the quest for this is a quest that can change your future! You can do it!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

I really needed to re-read that this morning. Thank you for taking the time to write that!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, if you do the reading and know what to expect as you begin your recovery from this addiction, you will do well.  That attitude of feeling like you are better than that when it comes to smoking will serve you well.  I am not going to tell you it is easy because there are times when it gets pretty challenging.  I promised myself that if I really had a reason to think that smoking a cigarette would somehow magically change things for me...take away pain, resolve anger, take away stress...HONESTLY...every time I had a crave I asked myself what smoking a cigarette would do for me as opposed TO me.  I had mood swings and a three day crying jag when I was at about 63 days of freedom but it got easier and easier as time went on.  I felt like I actually became acquainted with myself as I should have done many, many years before.  Nicotine dulls our senses and our reactions to things, we are constantly under anesthesia when we smoke.  The embarrassment we feel is GOOD, it shows that we realize that we do not want to be seen as junkies.  This is a journey to getting to know yourself, you will learn to deal with all things the same way NON smokers always have.  There is nothing that smoking fixes, nothing that it makes better but there is a LOT of damage that comes from smoking.  Congratulations on your quit and on your decision to come to EX, you are about to embark on a great adventure!

Ellen

bacardigirl

I wish you the very best of luck with your quit. My advice would be to log into this site every day, read the blogs and the materials  provided in the links. I found it so helpful to read blogs from others that were quitting around the same time I did,so I didn't feel so alone. I remember RachelMB   and I joined about the same time and I always felt like I had a buddy with me on this journey (and she would agree).  If you are struggling, please come to the EX Community first, we will talk you off the edge and help any way we can to keep your efforts true. You are right...you are so worth this journey. Congrats on your decision to quit!

Strudel

Welcome to the site and congrats on deciding to quit! (And congrats on your job!) Be sure to check out the Carr. Book Nancy mentioned - it has helped so many of us. Plus - be sure to stay close here. Again - congrats!