cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Posamari

Truckin' like the doodah man.....

As I tip toe through NML, one thing I miss and have avoided is driving more than an hour or so at a time. When I smoked, it was nothing for me to hop in the car and drive several hours if I had the time. I love to travel but now have kind of nipped it a bit. I have no problem jumping on a plane but driving is a whole different beast. I live in Los Angeles county and am fortunate to be within 2-6 hours of some very cool and beautiful areas. San Diego, Mammoth, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Santa Barbara, Ojai, Big Sur, Santa Cruz, Las Vegas, the list goes on. San Diego area was my second home, haven't been there in at least 6 months, I miss it.  My youngest daughter works and lives in Yosemite National Park- 5 hours from me. I need to plan a trip but  California freeways can be extremely stressful. My passengers were always music and a pack of cigs to help me navigate through the craziness and keep me company. I need to just bite the bullet and plan a weekend road trip. Smoke free this time. Silly, but it kind of scares me. Will I be totally stressed out driving, especially if I'm in traffic jam? Will I allow myself to have a nice time? Will I be a bundle of nerves? Am I just a wimp?!

Should I wait until I'm free and clear of NML?

Anyone else avoiding long distance car trips? 

14 Replies

I live in Oceanside. I just avoid high traffic times. Before 6am or After 10am. or go places between 10 and 2

0 Kudos
Posamari

Dale--- a true Californian response. Hahaha! Love it.

Even when I smoked I tried to travel between 10-2.  

0 Kudos

My walmart opens at 5am. The grocery chains open at 6 Since I'm up by 3, that's when I shop.

Posamari

3am??!  Wal-Mart 5am?  What time you go to bed?  Are you exhausted by 2 pm? Do you nap? Questions Questions! I'm asking as I frequently wake between 2-4 am and read or play solitaire til I fall back asleep.  

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Be sure to carry a bottle of ice cold water from which to sip, take some 'tunes to sing aloud to, or count the red/blue/white cars you see or the lights you hit or miss.  Try taking a route different than usual so the scenery is different. 

You are relearning your life as an ex-smoker!

Nancy

Daniela2016

My drive to work is about 40min each way; I used to smoke 2 cigarettes each way, every day...After I dropped my last link with smoking (the e-cigarette), I purchased sunflower seeds, and was using them each way...Little by little I quit eating them.  Now they have been in my car for months...just in case.

Get some CDs you like and you can sing along, or listen to some interesting books while driving, or get some sugar free hard candies... or gum.

I'd start with shorter drives, and increase the distance as you grow more comfortable with your quit.

Posamari

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I am learning to live my life as a non smoker. Who would have thought it was a *thing* you had to learn or change when you quit smoking??!  It actually affects nearly every facet of your life. I sometimes wonder if I never did smoke, what different path(s) would my life have taken?  Where would I be, etc etc. The more I learn about nicotine addiction , the more I think it should be a classified schedule 1 drug. 

0 Kudos

It's a bit contradictory - we say to folks - "Avoid your triggers!" yet at some point as you assemble the New Normal there are some old triggers that we build back into that because we like that part! It is good to be cautious but it's also good to move forward and face our apprehensions. My opinion is that's what NML is - finding the New Smoke FREE ME! You will be just fine. Remember 

Face

Everything

And

Recover!

You'll find your Groove!

Posamari

When I started my quit I tried to also eliminate as many triggers as possible. Caffeine, alcohol, long phone convos, driving long distances,  EATING (ha), etc  Seriously, I basically locked myself in my room for a week and just read, slept, and growled   . I didn't have much of an appetite , my stomach was in knots, I lost weight. 2 months nicotine free, I started having a few alcoholic beverages socially and drinking coffee or green tea only when I was exhausted and needed to keep 'going'.  Since I entered NML, I want to eat 'round the clock! Anything and everything, especially sweets. Chocolate could easily become the main entree.  Have gained a good 5-8 lbs although I'm exercising regularly.  So I'm gradually facing my triggers except for the long distance driving part. With spring here, I'm getting wanderlust so I guess it's a good time as any to face and address the driving trigger. 

0 Kudos