cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

neptuneideas

Vapors 0 mg?

I am planning to use my vapor which has been a big help so far. I am at 6mg nicotine next week I plan to drop to 3 and then 0 by quit day. If I smoke 0 mg on quit day and after til I get rid of the vapor too is this a good idea?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EXProductMgr
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi neptuneideas‌ - great question!

We've recently added information about using e-cigarettes/vape pens to quit smoking on BecomeAnEX: BecomeAnEX FAQ: BecomeAnEX 

The most important thing is to stop smoking regular ("combusted") cigarettes, and it sounds like you're committed to doing that!

Megan, Product Lead for EX
0 Kudos

Not only do zero nicotine e-cigarettes actually have nicotine in them but you are still clinging to the body memories that will draw you back to Sickerettes! So on both counts I don't think it is the best solution. Plus you are still damaging your lungs.

'Nicotine-Free' E-Cigs Still Deliver the Juice | Medpage Today 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150526084955.htm 

E-cigarettes and Lung Health | American Lung Association 

These are all very reputable sites.

Can you set a date and dive into the full quit water? I promise the water is terrific!

YoungAtHeart

E-cigarettes are often touted as safer than traditional tobacco products, but according to a study released by the Harvard School of Public Health, they may still be extremely harmful to smokers’ health.

According to the study, 75 percent of flavored e-cigarettes and refill liquids tested contained the chemical diacetyl — a chemical that causes an incurable disease known as “Popcorn Lung.”

“Popcorn Lung,” otherwise known as bronchiolitis obliterans, causes scarring in tiny air sacs in the lungs that lead to excessive coughing and shortness of breath. “Popcorn Lung” earned its nickname in 2004 when several workers at a Missouri popcorn factory developed the disease.

Though diacetyl is often associated with buttering flavor used in popcorn, it’s also found in fruit and alcohol flavorings often used in e-cigarettes.

When you decide to go off of the e-cig (and I hope it's soon), you might want to have a supply of cut up straws to use for the hand to mouth motion.  I would also recommend that you do some reading about what nicotine does to your mind and body.  I highly recommend the book by Allen Carr - here's a link to a free PDF of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

(Just substitute  "vaping" for smoking in the following!)

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.   Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/5711492/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy