cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Document Control?

Jump to solution

I was under the assumption that when we created a document we had the ability to restrict others from editing it.  But I see that our Admin made a "modification," (what the modification was I don't know). So are the Advanced Options not open to the author of the document?   

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am the admin so I can edit many things. No one else will be able to according to document control. 

Mark

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I moved it to https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/community-help?sr=search&searchId=69718491-b400-443f-aa...‌ because we got rid of Community Help social group due to confusion. Streamlining content where possible. 

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

I see.  I thought I had posted it from Community Help.  I guess not.  

But that doesn't answer my question.

0 Kudos

I am the admin so I can edit many things. No one else will be able to according to document control. 

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Well you moved mine also - the only real problem that  I have is that I was notified of the "edit" in the notifications system. I had absolutely no idea of what had been edited.  A PM to both me and Giulia explaining what you were doing would have been the courteous thing to do - instead I had to compare versions to try to find out what you had done.  My list was originally done for my benefit only - I decided to share my work with others that would use it.  

0 Kudos

There were 86 discussions and 2 documents moved. I apologize for not warning you but notifying everyone wasn't something I had time to do and most were really old discussions.  I didn't realize it was going to notify you or show up as modified. Had I known this I would have considered other options.   Nothing was modified in either of them. They were only moved as there was confusion in having both a https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/community-help?sr=search&searchId=2de576e4-9097-4305-93...‌ Community and a Community Help Social Group. We eliminated the social group to clear confusion of things getting put in the wrong place. 

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

Jennifer-Quit  Exactly my problem.  I had no idea what had been "modified."  So I had to go in and look and do a document compare.  I think I'll just stick to blogging for now.  There's a sense of security and autonomy in that.  The only streamlining in that mode is that which we do ourselves.  

0 Kudos

Giulia‌ You can be assured that, unless you give other members ability to edit, they will not be able to edit your documents. Moderators and Admins would be the only exception to this. It's necessary on every community to give the admin the ability to edit nearly everything or really really bad things could happen. As Admins and Moderators, we use the power with great care. Currently there aren't any active moderators other than myself, Megan and EX Team. All of our content types are secure and have different purposes.   You and Jennifer_Quit_05-01-14 have used Documents in the proper way to share information that you anticipate to be updated regularly. Please don't let this confusion spoil that.  Switching to blogging and keeping the same title will create confusion as people won't know which version to refer to and you won't be able to have visibility to what changed between versions. Additionally, if you ever stop updating the post, then you can't hand over edit capability to someone else in the future. People who might be consistently referring to it will have to find a new version if there is one.  Lastly, if yours got a lot of views it will show up as more relevant even if a new version is made by someone else.  Titles/Subjects on posts are really important and help to distinguish between content. They're a huge determining factor on whether or not your content is read.  For example https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/71725-ive-been-mugged?sr=search&searchId=7d452305-ff20-4a...‌ was written the other day and it got me to respond. 

Curation/Moderation is part of all online communities.  It's necessary to ensure things are orderly, accessible and spam-free.  Fortunately, compared to other communities, there is not much need for moderation here. Just imagine if the next 10 people who joined the site created a post that simply was titled "Help!" but some wanted completely different things while others were asking the same thing. How would you track assisting those people? It'd probably be a bit chaotic and overwhelming. If three people had the same question then everyone would benefit from those same people being together in one question vs spread out in three separate questions. In Community Help, I'm going to be updating the subjects of Questions if the subject isn't succinct, especially if it appears the answer will be helpful to others and has been asked previously or will likely be asked in the future.  I'm here to make all the amazing information available one the community as accessible as possible.  Improving things like this will make Searching on the site useful, accurate and more relevant over time.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

Thanks for the information.  I've changed the name of the original so there should be no confusion. 

0 Kudos