cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Commitment

Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek.

- Mario Andretti

When I first came to BecomeanEx I had a desire to Quit Smoking. But I didn't know what it would actually take to get it done for Life! That still sounds like a tremendous goal! But you can't eat an elephant in one bite!

I first had to make a commitment to get through the physical withdrawal and honestly as a serial quitter that part was easy for me. I had done this much many, many times. I knew what I was getting into and I knew that it wouldn't last more than 3 or 4 days.

What took more effort on my part is to commit to the unknown! What would it be like to live without tobacco? That was something I hadn't experienced in decades! And you can't compare because as a kid I didn't have the stress and responsibility I have as an Adult. I mistakenly believed that smoking somehow helped me with that! 

Recovery slowly taught me that the only stress Nicotine actually relieved was caused by Nicotine! It never really relieved Life Stress! I felt stressed a lot because I smoked!

And smoking never helped me with responsibility! I believed it did! I thought I kept my cool under pressure by smoking a Sickerette! What I did was to hide under a smoke cloud instead of dealing with problems - especially relationship problems. 

I couldn't bring the whole me to the negotiation table of relationships because the whole me wasn't available to me! Addiction numbs people out! You don't get the lows but you also lose the highs of Life!

Would I even like myself as an EXer? 

All these are things I couldn't commit to on Day 1 because I didn't know! That's OK! You eat an elephant one doable bite at a time!

Recovery is a process and you can't see what you can't see! But you can make the Daily Commitment to N.O.P.E. and let this beautiful trip of Abundant Smoke FREE Living unroll itself little by little!

And when the time comes you will be like many of us who have no doubt that they will never take another puff again no matter what!

Commit to Today! Have the determination to respect that commitment and make it happen! 

The long term will take care of itself!

Believe in the process! Believe in Yourself!

You have what it takes to Succeed!

Tags (1)
10 Replies
Strudel

So well said Thomas - as always! Love the Lincoln quote too! 

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Amen Thomas, thank you....

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Well said, well written, thank you Thomas!

JACKIE1-25-15

Quitting is stepping into the unknown.  It is a leap of faith.  Once you take the leap of faith you will gradually be able to see your way clearer each day.  You just have to take that step of  faith and know that no matter what you will never put another cigarette to your lips. 

Giulia

Great blog, Thomas.  Unlike you, I had zero desire to quit smoking.  I knew I should.  I'd known that for years and years.  Three previous quits are the testament to that knowing.  Didn't mean I "wanted" to quit.  But this last time I made a commitment to do so.  Desire would probably have made it easier.  But for me it was the commitment, the 100% commitment that got me started.  My first blogs on the first support site I joined in 2006, long before EX was created, were all about needing motivation, because I had none.  And those supporters gave me that motivation.  They didn't so much give me the desire as they did the determination.  They passed on their wisdom and I saw their success and  I knew I could be like that too.  It's the combination of commitment and support that's responsible for getting me to where I am now two weeks shy of being smoke free for 11 years.  And it's that same commitment and connection to support that ensures continued longevity 

I don't think much about my commitment any more, not after all this time.  It's just part of my nature now.  But I will never forget what that Day One feels like (and the leading up to it).  And I never want to go back to another one.   And I never have to.  Nor does anyone.  You just have to stay committed to the choice you've made.  One day at a time, one day after the next.  

When the desire to remain free becomes stronger than the need for a cigarette, the victim of the addiction becomes the Champion of it

Mortalzeus

Bravo Thomas! Bravo!

TerrieQuit

Great! Thanks, Thomas!

0 Kudos

Great blog Thomas. If I hadn't made a commitment & stuck to it I would not be smoke free for 12 years,4 months, one week, 5 days, 9 hours, 37 minutes and 52 seconds.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

jonilou

Great post, Thomas. I have been doing my reading and this thing is a mind over matter situation. But perhaps the strongest part of my quit must be my commitment, my commitment to myself and my commitment to God. I know I won't be able to do this without His help and the support of this wonderful group. Thank you for this.