cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

diamond01

Why do I feel so tired?

Hi, I am now 42 days smoke free, I just have a question why I am so tried, and getting headaches, I just don't have a lot of energy to do anything, I could just sleep. Thanks Helen.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Not sure why.  It is normal based on my own experience and what I have read about how others feel.  I believe that your body is just adjusting to life without nicotine - and that adjustment takes a little while  Maybe add a little physical activity into your daily routine - a short walk perhaps.

0 Kudos

Hi Helen!

Congratulations on 42 DOF!

Feeling tired is a natural part of Smoking Cessation! I know it might come as a surprise to you 42 days out but how many Years did we smoke? 

I see 2 reasons for the tiredness.

Nicotine Recovery is hard work! Your Brain was literally hijacked of its natural reward system and restoring it to normal takes time and energy.

Also, depression is a normal part of healing psychologically from Nicotine Addiction. You have to let go of the old to make way for the new. 

It doesn't last! You are healing remarkably well from Years of substance abuse! 

You will soon feel better as long as you continue on your Quit Journey and Better times are right ahead of you!

Meanwhile be gentle and generous with yourself! Resting extra is just fine! But so are long walks and other forms of exercise. That will generate natural sources of missing dopamine and you will feel Better!

Reward yourself for your accomplishment! You're doing Great!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Here is a link to a list of early withdrawal symptoms I post from time to time that you might find helpful.

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/01/21/early-withdrawal-symptoms 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Make sure you are staying hydrated.  If you can rest when you are tired may help. Fresh fruit and vegetables.  You may consider a vitamin supplement.  Exercise is good.  Even though this is a normal occurrence from quitting, if this should persist I would advice you to see a doctor.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

First ,I am wondering if you have cut down on your caffeine intake since you quit .If so that could be a reason for the headaches . withdrawal from caffeine causes headaches even if just cutting back your body will adjust to it in time .

Secondly it seems odd but exercise really does produce energy . Take a walk and just as Thomas said above the dopamine in the brain will lift your spirit and speed up your metabolism .Walking or another form of exercise is also a great stress reliever .

I often feel a slump in the afternoon if I take a walk it wakes me up  and I feel better ! 

sayings congrats.jpgI just can't say enough about how important exercise is especially  when quitting smoking

You are almost to your 50 day milestone hang in there !!!!.

indingrl

hello my beloved Helen and CONGRATS ON 42 NICOTINE FREE DAYS! you are just going through withdrawal from THE DRUG NICOTINE AND YOU ARE NOW A RECOVERING FROM NICOTINE......I remember I slept a lot and when I wasn't sleeping I was writing BLOGS ON MY VENTING EMOTIONS......AND I  PERSONALLY STAYED ON THIS SITE FOR THE FIRST 90 DAYS....reading blogs...educating MYSELF ON MY NICOTINE ADDICTION.... I was here and also with Joel on WHYQUIT.COM....the people on this site SUGGESTED FOR ME TO come here to blog....go to other sites and read books on nicotine addiction....I loved Joel at whyquit.com he was helping STRUGGLING NICOTINE ADDICTS WITH FACTS...NOT FEELINGS.....FEELINGS ARE FICKLE AND WILL ALWAYS LEAD ME....ME...NOT ANYONE ELSE...I AM TALKING ABOUT ME....TO THE SELF PITY POT...AND I WILL USE NICOTINE AGAIN....SO I MADE A DECISION for MYSELF....NOT ONE PUFF OVER ME AND BLOG AND STAYING QUIT AND TAKE THE SUGGESTIONS AND HERE I AM STAYING QUIT FOR 2229 NICOTINE FREE DAYS IN JESUS NAME AMEN AND AMEN. so you Go Helen!!! and keep on blog blog  blog  BEFORE you take that first puff over you....WE WILL STAY QUIT TOGETHER NO MATTER WHAT IN JESUS NAME AMEN AND AMEN just sharing the love and please take what HELPS and leave the rest. Gentle hug to you Helen, they SUGGESTED... drink lots of water and eat oranges and remember to breathe and when the TEMPTATION COMES TO USE NICOTINE.....BELIEVE ME YOU WILL BE TEMPTED....JUST TURN YOUR HEAD....AND GET UP AND GET A DRINK OF WATER... AND THEN SIGN ON AND TELL US HERE YOU WANT TO USE NICOTINE....YOU WILL SEE ALL THOSE COME RUNNING TO LOVE YOU WITH THEIR EXPERIENCE AND STAY QUIT WITH US ON MATTER WHAT....THATS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME.....ONLY BY GODS GRACE I HAVE NOT USED 111,450 NICOTINE CIGS TODAY....QUIT DATE 01-06-2011....CUZ I DID WHAT WAS SUGGESTED BY THOSE STAYING QUIT AND IT WORKS!

freeneasy

Keep racking up the days. Great advice all the above. Quitting is a major change for you both physically and psychologically. Try to stay positive about your quit. You are doing a great thing for yourself and a great job. It will get better.

0 Kudos