cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

The Push and Pull

What do we do if an urge pushes us in one direction and our values pull us in another? We don't want to struggle with that urge because then it's hard to focus on effective action. So rather than try to resist, control, or suppress it, the aim is to make room for it, to give it enough time and space to expend all it's energy. And one marvelously useful technique for this is known as "urge surfing."
  Have you ever sat on the beach and watched the waves? Just noticed them coming and going? A wave starts off small and builds gently. Then gradually it gathers speed and grows bigger. It continues to grow and move forward until it reaches a peak, known as a crest. Then, once the wave has crested, it gradually subsides. The same happens with urges in your body. They start off small and then steadily increase in size.
  All too often we get into a struggle with our urges; that's why we talk of "resisting" them. In urge surfing, though, we don't try to resist our urges - we just give them space. If you give an ocean wave enough space, it will reach a crest and then harmlessly subside. But what happens if that wave encounters resistance? Ever seen a wave crash onto the beach or smash against the rocks? It's loud, messy, and potentially destructive.
  So urge surfing is a simple but effective technique in which we treat our urges like waves and "surf" them until they dissipate. The term coined back in the 1980s by psychologists Alan Marlatt and Judith Gordon is part of their groundbreaking work with drug addiction. 
13 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

This helped me early on in my quit.  It is good to see you sharing the concept again. .  Great stuff.  Saved me.  Made my quit a lot easier.

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

I learned how to urge surfing when I started smiling at the urge, and I started talking to it " Oh, here you are, my very proof I am not smoking anymore; if I were, I would have not recognized you" and I was smiling while deep breathing.  After 3-4 breaths the urge was gone, and I kept doing whatever the urge wanted to interrupt.  Great concept, mine seem a mix of urge surfing and happy quitting, whatever it was it helped me a lot in the early months of the recovery!

Thanks Thomas for the reminder!

Mortalzeus

cowabunga.gif

Thanks Thomas, now I have a name for what I am doing with my urges!

TerrieQuit

It worked for me! Thanks, Thomas!

~Terrie~

0 Kudos
Nestly

That's great! I always wanted to learn to surf!

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Good morning, Thomas.  Where was I with the urge surfing?  I suffered with every urge for a long time. Ancient history now.  Thanks for my birthday wishes.  You are in my prayers.

0 Kudos
John10forteen

Thank you Thomas. I wasn't sure if was you or another Thomas that posted that so long ago. That was my ride for a long time man. A major reason for my success, that's a fact. You did that, thanks. Reading it again, it's just as amazing, I gotta go pass this on to a newbie, Be Well Thomas.

0 Kudos
diamond01

That is so funny that is my motto in life surf the wave, on my 50th birthday Doug Wylie and artist out of california made me a piece of pottery with waves going up, and Dolphins surfing the wave, look him up on google great artist.Helen.

0 Kudos
cbgerber

URGE SURFING!  I will certainly give this a try.  The ocean has had a calming effect on me at times - this might just work.  Thank you.  

0 Kudos