cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lisalhh

In My Own Way and Time

The last time I blogged, I said I was about to start using Chantix. Well, I did, and it's working great for me. However, to say my quit is unconventional would be an understatement.

I did not set a quit date. I did not clear away my smoking area. In fact, I am sorry to say I do still smoke. However, I smoke less than one cig/day!

I'm in my third week of taking Chantix now. It has shut down the tobacco receptor sites in my brain. The addiction is broken; the habit is not. I allow myself to smoke whenever I want. Luckily, I rarely want to smoke! When I do, I smoke very little - sometimes there's barely enough ash to flick into the ashtray once. Yes. I light that cigarette. However, I never have to fight my way through a nic fit. I don't deny myself. I can look to my smoking area and honestly tell myself I don't want to smoke, and I don't have to lie to myself.

I like this because I smoke outside on my lanai. I used to wonder if I ever would be able to sit out there again without wanting a cigarette. It was quite upsetting. I enjoy relaxing out there and enjoying the nature all around me. Well, so far that's the only time I light up. But it tastes so-o-o bad; it's great! 

I'm sure it won't be long before I stop doing that. My mother once told me that's how I stopped using my pacifier when I was a baby. I just walked over to the garbage and threw it away. Now, I'm in the process of leaving my adult pacifier behind.

I know that's not what you're supposed to do. It's working for me though. Do I reccommend everybody quit this way? Absolutely not. It's a different way that's working for me. Maybe someone also has a different way they would like to try, but they don't because they've been told to take a specific path.

"They" say you need to quit in your own way; in your own time. Well, that's what I'm doing. If you're still struggling with your quit, don't be afraid to go outside the box. After all, we're all aiming for the same results. It doesn't matter how you get there. Just get there!

35 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

The advice you are giving isn't quite working because you have not quit yet. Set a date. Get rid of the smoking stuff.  Commit to quitting.  Since you are you here I believe that you would like to learn some skills and acquire tools to really quit. The addict in us always defiant until we let go.  The choice is always yours. 

Start First, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to the home click on Community Help (top right corner) tab and get started. We will support you. You are in your journey for freedom.

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Hi Lisa,

No one can tell you how to quit, but to Jackie's point, I too believe if you are here is because you would like to acquire some tools to help you quit forever.  At least that is what I read between lines in your blog. 

There so much documentation to help you in your recovery, some of it already included in Jackie's post.  Another place is /blogs/ShawnP-blog/2017/01/28/welcome-to-our-community?sr=search&searchId=4c75f9aa-d87f-4c85-a52c-0a...‌.  Please feel free to explore and if you decide one day you want to join the ranks of EX-smokers, we will be here for you to answer your questions, support you, help you navigate through hard times, whatever you need.

Hoping you will make the right decision for your health and your future, I look forward to see you soon again!

Daniela 336 DOF (Days of Freedom)

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Hi Lisa.  Dale, one of our favorite elders says "If you quit smoking and you are still smoking you are doing it wrong."  I agree. I tried Chantix on one of my quit attempts.   Isn't the goal to quit after a week of using the medicine?  You are just holding on.  I say bite the bullet.  You will be so pleased with yourself when you do.  It is a wonderful feeling to be done with them. You are close.  Congrats on wanting to be an ex-smoker.  You can do this. 

0 Kudos
lisalhh

Of course I can do this. I am in the process of doing that right now. Slow and steady wins the race. Trust me. This is the path for me. Besides, I'm almost out of cigarettes, and that will be it.

I think a person stays on Chantix for the amount of time he needs to be on it. My doctor told me to take it for three months, but he gave me a six month script.

- Lisa

0 Kudos
Giulia

Will be really interested to see if "your way" works - ultimately.  For a lot of us, well ME anyway, it sounds like a recipe for disaster.  You've been taking Chantix for 3 weeks and that's helping, but you still smoke.  You smoke very little, but you don't deny yourself.  You didn't set a quit date and you didn't clear away your smoking area.  For most of us that would not ensure longevity, it would assure quite the opposite.  I hope it DOES work for you.  That would be fabulous!  And thinking out of the box is definitely a plus!  JonesCarpeDiem‌ quit in HIS way and it worked for him.  He didn't think in terms of "denying" himself either.  Unconventional, when it works, is something to glom onto!   The object is to quit.  As you said, "It doesn't matter how you get there.  Just get there!"   Keep us posted.  Thanks for sharing!

lisalhh

Giulia,

Hi! How are you? It's been a long time.

Thanks for the link. It's good to know I'm not the only one who followed my heart instead of my head. That was my 1st try. It made sense to go through the steps everyone told me. That's all wrong. You have to follow your heart.

Will definitely keep you in the know. My blog met with certain disapproval from a few of our members. But then, I knew that would happen. I just wanted to inspire others that if there's a will, there's a way - even if you need to turn away from convention.

Will let you and all the other Exers how things turn out. There's only one cig left in my last pack. Hmmm ...

- Lisa

0 Kudos
Giulia

"Hmmmm" is right.  It's all up to you.

0 Kudos
lisalhh

I'm glad someone understands that!

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Check this out My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) 

I'm glad you are here! Keep us posted and shout if you need anything.   ~Terrie~

0 Kudos