cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DEFJamBaby

Did you find the first week harder than any other time?

I guess every smoker that quits is scared of the terrible time he will have, when he quits.

I've only quit two days ago, but I'm still waiting for anything "bad" to happen. Like: freaking out, yelling at people, crying, or anything else that would demonstrate any form of withdrawl symptom.

The worst I had so far was a thought of "a cigarette would be nice now" along with a funny feeling in my tummy that quickly came and just as quickly dissapeard. Is that it?

I've prepared myself for a war with my inner demons and so far those demons have been whispers - if that.

26 Replies
Mortalzeus

Expect the worst, but hope for the best appears to be your approach! I like it!  Week 1, even though I approached it one day at a time, I loaded up on patches and lozenges.  I knew what my triggers were and when they would hit me, so I found something new to do at those times.  No real "Freak Out" moments for me, but I was a little less patient with my

Wife for about 3 months.  Don't let your guard down, my demons would sneak up on me at weird times!  Stay Strong!

Darren

DEFJamBaby

Could it be that because I only smoked about 10 a day and then really light ones with almost no nicotine in it, that I'm not feeling it as much? I don't have any patches or any other substitutes here, because I don't want a replacement.

0 Kudos
Mortalzeus

I suppose that could be a factor, however the addiction still lies within you! And for me, it will never go away! I have gotten comfortable with and embraced the fact that I have to maintain this quit daily.  I would suggest you find what ever works best for you and stick to it. There are plenty of ideas here to explore.  Just don't smoke and enjoy all the benefits at no extra charge:)

Darren

We're all different and our Quit Journeys are all different! I was a serial quitter and each of my quits was different! I was also a light smoker and some of my Hell Weeks (1st week) were just that! Others were barely a blip on y daily life. 

I'm glad your first few says are going so smoothly! But don't get complacent! 

Those Nicodemons tend to pop up when you least suspect at times. But you don't have to be prepared to fight!

Nicodemon is YOU!

It helps to treat Nicodemon like a 2 Year old throwing a tantrum! With Love - for You! You don't give in to the tantrum but you don't fight either!

I'll send you a blog about that once I look it up. 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/6317-parenting-your-nico-demon-addictive-self 

You're doing a fabulous job, DEFJam!

Keep stacking those days!

Congrats on your first few days of freedom! Each person's journey is different, I'm glad you're not having a difficult time. What you're doing seems to be working for you. I found in the beginning that coming onto this site helped a lot! If I had a question or concern the other EX members shared what worked for them and they offered support, encouragement and shared in milestones which was also very helpful! I hope you can stay close to this site and post when you can! Congrats!!!

MarilynH

You are doing super fantastic with your quit, each of us has a different EXperience in our quits, I found for me the third day and the third wk were the roughest but I kept plowing forward and stacking up those precious smoke free days and counting just like you are and it's the best journey that we'll ever take in our lifetime. 

DEFJamBaby

I'll let you know how tomorrow is treating me.  

So far Alan Carr and his book were spot on! Quitting doesn't hurt at all!

0 Kudos

the anticipation far outweighs the real outcome.  Just try to take it one day at a time.  Live in the present and try not to look ahead to tomorrow, because you don't know what's about to come.  Just tackle what's happening today and always remember yesterday.  That will help you get stronger and stronger every week

JACKIE1-25-15

One day at a time is all I could do. I made it through.  I had some rough days but nothing that I could not handle because my mind was made up and nothing, no one was going to stop me no matter what NOPE, not one puff ever.