cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

WOO HOO! I Got The Gate Boards On!

DSCF1958.JPG

And working in the direct sun wore me out.

I'll update here with another picture after I've hinged them.

Perhaps tomorrow.  🙂

13 Replies
elvan

They are BEAUTIFUL, Dale.  I love the design!

Thanks

They took a lot of thought.  🙂

0 Kudos
elvan

Only someone with great artistic talent would have come up with them.  Seriously, I am very impressed.

0 Kudos

Thanks. Well I haven't tried swinging them yet. 🙂 I screwed a flat 2x4 to the back of the posts top and bottom in line with the fence boards that were already up each side of the gate opening. Then I built the two frames, screwed the sides to the posts with a 1.4 inch space and a half inch in the middle then pulled the left one down 5 inches and screwed it to the flats from the back and the right one up and screwed it to the flats from behind, making two "out of square" trapezoids. The flats gave me something to build to, set up  where my hinges line up the top and bottom rails and hold it all in line so I could lock it in place while I installed the fence boards.

I couldn't locate any 14 inch strap hinges for less than $100+ in the states so I ordered them from England on Ebay. Saved over 75%  🙂 ($26 including shipping for all 4)

So now another tricky part. If I line the hinge straps up with the rails, when the left gate swings open it will be close to the ground and the downhill gate will rise as it opens. I'm going to have to just put in the minimum screws and test how it all works.

Cross your fingers.  🙂

0 Kudos
Giulia

I've got a deck that needs re-doing.  When ya coming?

Nice work!

0 Kudos

It would take me a long time walking.   🙂

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Looks great Dale, I'm sure the sun did wear you out....

0 Kudos
RachelMB

Amazing Dale!   

0 Kudos

Jones Carpentry was my business name. That's where jonescarp came from.  🙂

0 Kudos