cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go to see content across the whole site?

Jump to solution

I think a lot of the members when they sign on and go to the home page are clicking on Conversations and expecting to see everything there, blogs, documents, discussions, questions.  The only time these will be shown here is when they are published in the category of Conversations.  Here in is where the problem lies.  When you blog you have a choice of having it either your own blog being published as your own blog or a place blog, i.e. published in a group, in the Conversation section, etc.  Now, mind you, when I was typing this out to you, I had to go back to the page constantly to figure out where everything is going.  I think people are getting frustrated when they get to that part of the publishing, that they finally give up because they have no clue where to stick something.  Yes, the visibility of the blogs are shown on the home page, but if you have no experience on the site, you wouldn't know to navigate down to "more" to bring up the page Browse -Content, where everything is shown, questions, discussions, blogs, polls, videos, events.  This is the page which should be showing up under the Conversations link instead of only the content published under the Conversation category. People are viewing the Conversations link as just that, a conversation with the community at large and not a Conversation category.   So many things are being missed.  Just see how many times I've highlighted Conversation only in this paragraph explaining where everything was going.  If I click on the pencil and select which I want to create, and I select discussion, here I have to pick and choose where I want it to appear.  Whereas under the Conversation link, it automatically places it under the Conversation category.  

Also ask a question should be categorized in ask a site question, i.e. asking where something is located, or ask a smoking related question, i.e. does anyone know how long nightmares last and so on.  That would streamline a lot more effective answers rather than having them sit awaiting a response.  There's way too many categories to choose from. I've ran across some questions not even being answered.  If they were smoking related questions, our members would be all over it.  If they are site related questions, the developers should answer those or a simple FAQ section should populate and then if the answer is not answered, a PM is sent to the admin.  

A perfect example of the confusion is I selected the question category and below it is showing me Publish Location and Conversations is already preselected for me, which it should go under the general category of either General Support or Community Feedback, one or the other, not both.  Now, that begs the question of what's the difference between General Support and Community Feedback.  I'm seeing many blogs, discussions, questions, being shifted around because they are not placed in the right category.  There's so many categories to stick things in, it's not no wonder why.  Personally I think this site needs to be less micromanaged and more streamlined into broad general categories instead of many small ones and really creating more work on your end trying to stick everything in their right drawers.  As with anything in life, consistency is the key.  You know what to expect and you know exactly what to do.  If I'm stuck in a new job and I have 12 people telling me all different ways of doing something to complete one single task, I'm going to get very frustrated and most likely look for another job.  I hate to see that happen here.  Markscha

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

crazymama_Lori

Thanks for your feedback.  Hopefully I can add some clarity here.

There isn't really "Categories" per-se. Rather it's locations or places that content can be located.  They're either in Social Groups or Communities.

If you are on the home page and you click the Pencil Icon. It's going to ask you where you want to post your question.

Community Help‌, Community FeedbackGeneral Support‌ are Social Groups (as indicated by Purple Icon) brought over from Elgg.  Some of them were created but the EX Team and some were created by Members. We didn't want to lose any content so we just brought it over.  We're going to work on distributing the content in Community Help‌ into Community Help‌ and Conversations‌ to reduce the confusion there. Moving content easily wasn't possible with Elgg but is possible now with Jive. Similarly General Support‌ may be re-distributed to Community Help‌ and Conversations‌.  Community Feedback‌ I haven't decided yet.  This may become the ECAB group down the road.

Conversations‌ and Community Help‌ are Communities/Spaces (as indicated by Orange Icon). These were newly created on Jive to house Smoking related questions and platform related questions. 

If you are in Conversations‌ or Community Help or any of the Social Groups‌ and you click the Pencil icon or Actions Button it will default to posting your Question or Blog or Discussion or Document in the location you are at that time.

If you are in the Conversations‌ or Community Help‌ and you click the buttons located in the center/left column of the page then it will default to posting in whichever location you are in.

Similarly if you are using the Ask and Share widget on the home page it will default to Asking( a question) or Share (a discussion) in the Conversations‌ community.  ** We're considering changing it to something besides Share**. If a question about the platform gets asked in the Conversations‌ I'll likely move it to Community Help‌ once I see it or you can alert me by clicking Actions in the upper right of the page and then click Report Abuse.  Choose General Abuse and then type in a note to request move to Community Help‌. I'll get an alert and then I can look at it to confirm if it should move.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

13 Replies

HUH? I am so confused on your take.  I don't see all of these issues when I use these categories.  Correct me if I am wrong but can't you (change where you want to publish a conversation)?  I guess  I am not looking for what is wrong and just using the platform.  Hopefully in time problems will be sorted out.  If you direct your concerns to Mark, I am sure he will be more than happy to assist. 

0 Kudos
MarilynH

You have written this out beautifully crazymama_Lori ,these are my key issues as well but thankfully I got the blog part down pat, my blog that is, then I muddle my way around the other spots, great post thank you. 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

crazymama_Lori

Thanks for your feedback.  Hopefully I can add some clarity here.

There isn't really "Categories" per-se. Rather it's locations or places that content can be located.  They're either in Social Groups or Communities.

If you are on the home page and you click the Pencil Icon. It's going to ask you where you want to post your question.

Community Help‌, Community FeedbackGeneral Support‌ are Social Groups (as indicated by Purple Icon) brought over from Elgg.  Some of them were created but the EX Team and some were created by Members. We didn't want to lose any content so we just brought it over.  We're going to work on distributing the content in Community Help‌ into Community Help‌ and Conversations‌ to reduce the confusion there. Moving content easily wasn't possible with Elgg but is possible now with Jive. Similarly General Support‌ may be re-distributed to Community Help‌ and Conversations‌.  Community Feedback‌ I haven't decided yet.  This may become the ECAB group down the road.

Conversations‌ and Community Help‌ are Communities/Spaces (as indicated by Orange Icon). These were newly created on Jive to house Smoking related questions and platform related questions. 

If you are in Conversations‌ or Community Help or any of the Social Groups‌ and you click the Pencil icon or Actions Button it will default to posting your Question or Blog or Discussion or Document in the location you are at that time.

If you are in the Conversations‌ or Community Help‌ and you click the buttons located in the center/left column of the page then it will default to posting in whichever location you are in.

Similarly if you are using the Ask and Share widget on the home page it will default to Asking( a question) or Share (a discussion) in the Conversations‌ community.  ** We're considering changing it to something besides Share**. If a question about the platform gets asked in the Conversations‌ I'll likely move it to Community Help‌ once I see it or you can alert me by clicking Actions in the upper right of the page and then click Report Abuse.  Choose General Abuse and then type in a note to request move to Community Help‌. I'll get an alert and then I can look at it to confirm if it should move.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
susan_m

Lori,

I go to "conversations", but then click "content" - that seems to get me all discussions, blogs, questions, etc and I can then choose to sort by latest comments or creation date.

Have you tried that?

xx

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Most of the open questions have responses but we're waiting for the original author to indicate a correct answer. Some of them also have helpful answers but will remain open until a correct answer is designated or it is marked assumed answered.

Was there other questions that you are seeing that have no responses? I'm not seeing any.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

I simply give up.  I will attempt to move around the site as best as I can

0 Kudos

crazymama_Lori‌ Don't give up.  I'm here for you as are a lot of other people.  Honestly we reduced the number of "Places" you could post on the community by nearly 2/3rd by consolidating 600+ groups to about 200 groups.  The architecture of the the old site was very haphazard and it was difficult for me at times to even know where things were.  Now we've worked to make that all a lot more logical. To simplify where things go.  Yes there are some artifacts that we're still organizing but largely the site is simplified.

Yes there are sometimes a couple ways to do something that get to the same result.  Not everyone does things the same way and if we were able to reduce it down to one way(not saying it's even possible), the way one person might have liked could be gone and they'd be forced to do it the selected way.  No community platform is exactly what everyone wants(I've managed several different ones ) but we looked very carefully at all the community platform options available to us and compared it against what things were important on the community members and came to a decision.

I love member feedback and we'll do what we can to make it easier, where we have the ability to do so and where it meets the needs of the community at-large. 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Not everyone does things the same way and if we were able to reduce it down to one way(not saying it's even possible), the way one person might have liked could be gone and they'd be forced to do it the selected way.

This is a good point, but trying to please everybody - i.e. too many options - makes it difficult to instruct members on "how to" do certain things and, I would imagine, is rather confusing.  E.g.  "Well Mary said to do it THIS way, but Bob said another way - so which wasy is correct..."    I'm confused and have been here since day one of the platform change.  (Which isn't long but feels like an eternity!)  There IS something to be said about the benefits of narrowing options.  But, as you stated, it may not even be possible.  It reminds me of going into a grocery store and seeing 4 different brands of toilet paper, for example, and having to select not only the brand, but how many sheets per roll, the softness, are they in four packs or are all loose, scented, unscented, ribbed, extra strong, extra absorbent, etc., etc.....  I think I've wasted more time in the TP section of stores than any other for there are just too many options.  lol

I agree with you there Giulia‌. Sometimes that's why I like to go to Aldi or Trader Joe's for specific things because I know they're cheaper and I don't have to be inundated with all the options. European grocery stores have far fewer options, as I remember it.  Sometimes we do want it simplified. 

That being said.  There aren't 4 or 5 different ways to do the same thing.  It's 2-3 in some cases.  The problem is.  With other platforms, where there is only 1 way.  People don't always "discover" that one way and they end up not participating.  Those who migrated, including myself, have our "way" of doing things.  

I worked in customer support for a mobile phone manufacturer for quite a few years.  I would talk to people with different technology aptitudes.  Though there was often multiple ways to solve their questions/issues/problems I often had to answer the question based on the person I talked to and what likely would fit them best.  I had to make some assumptions about them and customize my approach.  This then branched over on to the company's community.  At times, I felt like I was contradicting myself however it was really fitting a solution to the specific person I was communicating with. 

So yes, I can see how it could be confusing if two different people say two different things.  When you think about it, everyone has different ideas and different approaches are good.  That's what makes a community vibrant, beautiful and useful. I have my approach and you have yours, mine might make sense to some and yours to others.  Neither is wrong.  They're probably both right.  Sometimes members find better ways to do things than I do them. I love that. I love to learn. I love to be taught and discover new things.  Certainly, I know a fair amount but I know some of you will end up teaching me things about the community.

The community platform evolves as well, so what might be how you do something today might be changed/improved in the future.  So what's best today might be average next month.  

Yes, there are more content types than there were with Elgg. Some of them were archived in Elgg because it was confusing with the lack of clear navigation and abysmal information architecture.  Blogs were the main focus because that is the only thing that seemed to work consistently, half of the time. But there wasn't any opportunity for growth or evolution of the community. It was stuck.  Jive has a lot of functionality. There are things that they have that we haven't even enabled because it would add unnecessary complexity.  We want things to be simple. To keep the essence of what was happening and build that in this new community. 

To summarize,  there are three* ways to create content. 

• Pencil gives you all the options across the whole community but only certain places might be enabled for the content type you choose. 
    • It's dynamic and suggests a Place based on your location, EXCEPT the home page.
    • It can't be turned off.
  • Actions gives you only the content types available based on where you are.
    • It's dynamic and places it in the place you are currently located.
    • It can't be turned off.
  • Call to Action button is specific to your location and only allows you to do the action the button indicates.
    • It's designed only to post in the location you are currently located and only that content type.
    • These we added on as the Pencil and Actions buttons felt too hidden to us.

*  There are two other ways that are currently disabled currently.

Places you can create Content:

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team