cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Does AutoSave work with Private Messages?

Jump to solution

A couple of us have noticed that the "autosave" function does not seem to work with private messages.  Is that true, Mark ?  If that is the case, then it's wise  to do a CTRL C before posting, or compose it it in a word document prior to clicking that red REPLY button.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

You are correct. It doesn't work with Private Messages.  In comparison to the previous platform, things are exponentially more stable.  I wouldn't think anyone would write a really long direct message though so hopefully there isn't really a need for private messages to be auto-saved.  Direct Message are intended to be used sparingly as only public content really helps the community. They're intended to be short messages as well.  Conceivably if you were writing a private message and went away from your computer for a couple hours and then came back and tried to send, it probably wouldn't work. You'd probably have to login again and you'd probably lose it.  So if you do that, then yes, I would Highlight and Ctrl + C before attempting to send.  I certainly hope people aren't doing that frequently. Personally, I think it would unnecessarily clog up things if a whole bunch of "draft" messages were getting saved to your profile. The number of drafts should really be less than a handful in my opinion.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

You are correct. It doesn't work with Private Messages.  In comparison to the previous platform, things are exponentially more stable.  I wouldn't think anyone would write a really long direct message though so hopefully there isn't really a need for private messages to be auto-saved.  Direct Message are intended to be used sparingly as only public content really helps the community. They're intended to be short messages as well.  Conceivably if you were writing a private message and went away from your computer for a couple hours and then came back and tried to send, it probably wouldn't work. You'd probably have to login again and you'd probably lose it.  So if you do that, then yes, I would Highlight and Ctrl + C before attempting to send.  I certainly hope people aren't doing that frequently. Personally, I think it would unnecessarily clog up things if a whole bunch of "draft" messages were getting saved to your profile. The number of drafts should really be less than a handful in my opinion.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

When helping a person in distress sometimes the PMs are verrrry long!

I would use a Word document and copy it into the window.

Or yu can do it like twitter with a series of shorter messages in sequence.

0 Kudos

Thomas3.20.2010 wrote:

When helping a person in distress sometimes the PMs are verrrry long!

I would use a Word document and copy it into the window.

Or yu can do it like twitter with a series of shorter messages in sequence.

Appreciate the use-case for you.

Do you mean each private message is long or the conversation gets long? Now since you can mention content you could maybe reference a series mentions to public documents/discussions/blogs instead of a wall of text in your Direct Message. That way you can still share useful content in time of need. It gets them around the community to learn and explore and it won't be too overwhelming to see a whole chunk of text that might appear intimidating.  

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

Thank you.  

0 Kudos