cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tcbear

Nightmares!?

Ok... For all of you using the patch, as I am, as a quit aid, I have a question.  

When do the freakin nightmares stop!?

The mornings are one of the hardest for me so I really would rather keep the patch on all night. 

17 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I have seen the advice to take the patch off when you  go to bed.  It may lessen the chance of the nightmares.  Of course it is your option to do what is best or what works. 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

I used the patches for 2 weeks, but could not keep them on at night because of the nightmares...Had to change things around, took my shower first, put the patch on, then went to make a cup of coffee...

That (changing the routine) also helped when I stopped using the patches, I had learned by then to have the coffee without a cigarette.

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Many here used the patch! I did not! I hope you get some good replies!  ~Terrie!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Over my 4 1/2 years of experience here, I have often  heard about nightmares when leaving the patch on at night.  So - I would try leaving it off and applying a fresh one in the AM. I think you would be wise, then, to also change up your routine when you get up.  It takes a bit for the nicotine to build back up in your system - so doing something else for a bit before you drink your coffee (like @Daniela suggested) would be a good idea.  Maybe go for a quick walk right out of bed?  Or come to the site and do some reading?  Or even play a computer game for a bit?

Nancy

0 Kudos
diamond01

Hi, I am now on the last patch, I still have weird dreams, but I don't want to wake up in the morning in a panic. I have 4 patches, and then I am done , I don't know what patch you are on but every time you step down it is HELL. if I can help let me know, Helen.  

0 Kudos

I never had nightmares when I was on it, but I do remember reading that they suggest that you take it off at night if nightmares happen.  Here's an article to understand why.  it's kind of a blah, blah, blah article but it gives some understanding why for some it reacts that way:  The effect of transdermal nicotine patches on sleep and dreams. - PubMed - NCBI  and then this is from drugs.com:  

• If you begin to have vivid dreams or other sleeping problems, remove the patch at bedtime (after wearing it for about 16 hours). Put on a new patch when you wake up the next day.
0 Kudos
elvan

I never used the patch but I do know people who said they had to take it off at night and slap a new one on first thing in the morning because of the nightmares.  If mornings are your worst time, you might need to change up some routines that seem to contribute to that anxiety.  If you drink coffee, drink it with the other hand or drink green tea for a while.  If you are tense because of getting ready for work...do everything you can possibly do the night before, lay out clothes, set up anything you will need in the morning and make things as smooth as possible.  Set your alarm for a few minutes earlier, put the patch on and let it start working.  When you are finally done with the patches, drink as much water as you can to flush your system of the nicotine in the patches.  This is your journey, you have to take charge of it and you have to take on the mornings head on.

0 Kudos
CessFinally

I tried the patch. I stopped using it because of the night terrors. They were so vivid. One I will never forget will make you smile but I was terrified! I was cooking, using the oven, opened the oven door and a live goose came flying out of the oven flapping its wings and screeching. I will never forget that. I was so scared it obviously jerked me awake! Maybe it works for some people. I was under the supervision of a doctor, he didn't seem that shocked. Must be a fairly common side effect. Me, I don't like fear.

0 Kudos
Tcbear

Thank you everybody! Lots of great suggestions and, as always, support to continue the battle. 

Good news... I intended to take the patch off and take a dose of niquil to make sure I got some good rest for this nasty cold I have. Took the niquil, forgot about the patch but I'm very happy to say I don't recall waking up from an 8 hr snooze with a single dream of any sort. With any luck it wasn't just because of Mr Vick's snake oil. 

0 Kudos