cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tcbear

Hi-ho Trigger, AWAY!

First night back to work sinse quit day. Holy smokes batman!... All the unrealized triggers that are discovered. Was and is most advantageous to have a plan of attack. Not really feeling caught by surprise so that alone makes each episode "easier" to handle so to speak. Deep breaths and knowing each battle with the ego inside only lasts a 3 good minutes are my most useful tools. (That and a pocket full of tootsie pops and Jr mints!). Oh... and knowing I can spill my beans here is a blessing too. It's post lunch time and I'm here instead of outside the gate, in the rain, puffing on what I USED to stick in my mouth.

7 Replies
Tcbear

The internal fight that comes after a meal is most definitly, absolutely, positively, without a doubt the most challenging of them all! It really was the only cigarette of the day that I truly enjoyed. 

Makes me not want to eat at all. I should take advantage of that and use it to drop the last 15 lbs I've been trying to shake. Too bad the guys at work don't bring in sugar free doughnuts. 

0 Kudos
susan_m

When those triggers come, acknowledge them and move on. Trying to deny them gives them too much power, and your addicted brain will send them in with a vengeance.  Practice that so that you're better prepared for the triggers that come out of the blue. 

It isn't the number or strength of triggers that define our quits, it's how we react to them. Try mentally smashing them with a golf club, baseball bat, badminton racket...your foot, whatever.

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Each trigger and crave you go through makes you stronger for the next! Keep moving forward! You are doing great!  ~Terrie~

Tcbear

Thank you terrie! That is exactly the kind of support I'm in need of. 

Day 5,  WHOOP WHOOP!  Here we go!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Replacing those desires with water always helps  especially after a meal. Keep it going. 

0 Kudos
elvan

susan m's response is a really great one...don't try to pretend you are not having a crave, acknowledge that you are having it and see if you can identify the trigger and then take its power.  Returning to work after I quit smoking was also really challenging but every hour that I got through and every day that I got through made me feel stronger and more like I was really going to be a nonsmoker, once and for all.

It does get easier.

0 Kudos
Tcbear

Thank you ALL. Really, really good stuff and great support!  

Come onnnnn triggers.... BRING IT!

0 Kudos