cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JACKIE1-25-15

What would your conversation be to a serial quitter?

That question brings mixed concerns.  I think the first thing I would say is never give up.  Second is to believe in yourself.  Think of saving your life.  If you can go 24 hrs, you can do the rest.  It is "doable".  Stay close to this site on a regular basis.  Bookmark your days here.  Learn ways to be smoke free and stay smoke free. Educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  Most importantly believe that you can do the NOPE.  not on puff ever.  
NOPE Will keep you free.  Have a smoke free day.  Not only be good to yourself.  Be good to someone else.  God loves you and so do I.  Life is short.  Just left a funeral.  Give me my roses while I am alive. Peace out.

Tags (1)
20 Replies

My first question would be, what do you believe that white stick does for you that you can't do for yourself?  What is so magical about that "thing" that makes you think it solves all of life's problems?  How do you believe that comforts you, gives you joy, keeps you company?  If you think it relaxes you, then why are you tense again after five to ten minutes?  What is really drawing you back every single time?  It's got to be something.  You've come back time and time again.  Have you even thought of other ways, other things to do instead of lighting up?  I'm a firm believer of the why.  I understand the how, we're hooked on the nicotine.  But why do you keep going back?

JACKIE1-25-15

Thank you for responding.  I truly feel this is an issue that should often be addressed.  
With we can do it. 

Pops

Do not ever feel less than, or ashamed.  Those are negative feelings that the addiction will use as excuses to keep you smoking.  They, as well as every other thing you were ever told about the thrill or sexiness or machoism around smoking...it is all a "huge lie!"  Keep on trying...I did, and here I am...living the dream in a day by day existence, one day at a time.  

Never, ever give up.

Pops 256 days of freedom!

JACKIE1-25-15

Beautiful.  You can move to the front of the class and take off the dunce cap. 

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Kudos

First my condolences, Jackie! I feel your pain!

I was that Serial Quitter!

I would quit for everybody but myself. I would quit because I felt like I was "supposed to!" 

I would quit knowing that I would relapse! 

You see, I was afraid! I didn't know who I could be without Nicotine! And I didn't think I could like (LOVE) that man!

I hoped Sickerettes gave me my personality -

But what they did was to rob me of ME!

So what would I tell the Serial Quitter? 

You will be afraid sometimes, many times!

But you can stay the course by taking it one day at a time!

Believe in Yourself! The person under that smoke cloud is as SimplySheri‌ reminds us uniquely superb!

And living Addiction Free brings you closer to the Best you that you can be!

So don't do it for awhile! Don't do it for your Friends and Loved Ones!

Don't do it because you should!

Quit Smoking because you will discover the Real You that your Creator means for you to be!

You're worth it!

JACKIE1-25-15

Thank you Thomas for that very articulate answer.  You are also in from of the class.  Until I did for

me

I did not stay smoke free. 

elvan

I would tell the serial quitter that I have been there and that I told myself it was not the right time to quit, I had too much stress, I was in too much pain, my life was "falling apart."  Yeah, I have heard them all because I have USED them all.  I would tell the person to never quit quitting because if you do, you are asking your friends and your family to watch you slowly commit suicide.  You are lying to yourself, smoking does not fix anything, it doesn't even change anything except for your body, it ravages your body and causes so many different kinds of cancer that I have lost track.  If you want to smoke, you can use the same excuse I used and I have heard being used..."I could get hit by a bus tomorrow."  You're right, you could but would you WILLINGLY step out in front of an oncoming bus?  If so, see ya on the other side, friend.  You can choose what you do next.

SimplySheri

What an interesting question, Jackie! 

I would tell a serial quitter to stop waiting.  Stop waiting for the magic.  Stop waiting for a miracle.  Stop waiting for the 'right moment'.  Because you are the magic, you are the miracle, and there is no such thing as the right moment.  Everything you need to quit you'll find within you.  So stop waiting.  Stop looking.  Stop wanting.  And take action.

JACKIE1-25-15

Another 

A+ Elder