cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bonniebee

Why do we see Old Blogs in the Recent Blogs list?

Jump to solution

Why are posts from years ago showing up as though they are new ?

I was commenting on one before i realized it was from 2013 ! Guess we had better read the dates first .

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

The default sort is "Newest to Oldest by Recent Activity". Any old content was imported on 1/24/2017 and will show on your content page with recent activity on that date because it was imported then.  There was no way to avoid this. The actual last comment might have been before that.  

If you resort the page by "Newest to Oldest by date created" then it will put it in the order of most recent you created to the oldest and the really old ones will disappear.

If you see a recently updated date on a post that is newer than 1/24/2017 then it was actually commented on more recently then the day we migrated the content from Elgg to Jive.  This was a one time thing so those migrated posts will disappear into the past and you won't see them unless you go back a page or more when sorting Recent Activity Newest to Oldest.

As far as the related and recommended content that you see at the bottom of the page.  That is content that is similar by title or body content. The content at the bottom is brought up automatically. It doesn't have anything to do with date. Just by relevance as determined by Jive.  It may be helpful at times to click into it as you may find valuable related info. Jive is just trying to help you find the most relevant  info to you.  If, for instance, you  were looking at a thread on Cold Turkey it might show other threads that have discussions about Smart Turkey or Cold Turkey.  There is no indication of date as date doesn't necessarily determine if it is relevant or not.

There is also another widget that will appear and show "incoming links" this is a piece of content that has a link into the content you're viewing.  For example.  The daily Freedom Train posts may be linked to a document that explains the freedom train.  If  you looked at the /blogs/ShawnP-blog/2016/04/26/what-is-the-freedom-train you would see that a lot of freedom trains have incoming links.  

If there is an old blog that has a topic that is interesting... I do think it is appropriate to comment on it.  There have been some that I've commented on that were before my time but definitely touched me in a personal way or made me wonder how someone was doing or wanted to see them around the site. With any old post there is a chance there isn't  anyone active on it any longer, but who knows, perhaps a lively conversation can spark from a discussion that started but ended before it should have on Elgg.

Mark
EX Community Manager 

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Image result for i don't know

My only complaint so far.  I have to make sure that I look at the dates and read a little to see if it is something of interest.  I chalk it up to some type of sort feature error.  The blogs are supposed to be related but NOT.  Just keep laughing about it. That's what I do.  Don't sweat the small stuff is what I say. lol

I think as new content gets created on the site the related and recommended content will become more relevant.  Right now the site has just has a whole bunch of information imported to it. All the old discussions had 0 views.  The smarts of Jive aren't fully utilized because it can't quite tell fully what old discussions/blogs are popular vs old discussions/blogs that weren't popular so it doesn't have a lot to compare with. Over time I believe the content will be more accurate.  Yes you'll see things that might be a bit older.  Recommended doesn't necessarily mean recent. There are a lot of factors that go into it.  So it's not an error.  Just as the internet wasn't built in one day, the community won't reach it's full potential immediately.

If you see something that looks odd, by all means. Let me know, I'll look into it and see if it is an issue or if there is an explanation on why it might be the way it is.  Certainly there could be an issue but it's not guaranteed.

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

LOL now that is funny Bonnie. You wouldn't know how to decorate up our home page would you?

JustSharon wrote:

LOL now that is funny Bonnie. You wouldn't know how to decorate up our home page would you?

You can add a banner to your profile page (JustSharon‌) or on your JustSharon Blog‌ for each of your blog posts. You cannot add a background picture as you did previously with elgg however.   Sorry!

You can adjust your default home page preference on your preferences page.

Mark
EX Community  Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

I believe it has to do with populating the new site.  If they created the new site without including any of the posts on the old site - there would be nothing here.  So they (fortunately) kept all the old blogs, to show that there was something here.  Otherwise it would have been an empty room.  I don't know if that makes any sense, but I hope so.

Since all those old blogs are here - they're popping up.  Why?  I suspect it's because most of what's going on here now on the site is done in "conversation" mode.  There aren't that many blogs being written in comparison. If we all started writing blogs again, the old blogs would move down to the bottom of the list so they wouldn't be as "up front" as they are now.  

In any event we all need to PAY ATTENTION TO THE CREATION DATES ON THE BLOGS we're reading and responding to.  And not respond on 2 year old blog posts!

`If someone comments on an old blog for any reason, it moves to the top because it becomes "recently active".  And it just goes on and on.  If you will get into the habit of sorting by "date created: newest first", you will view the most recently written blogs or discussions.

Hopefully they may help some of the newbies anyway !

0 Kudos
Sootie

So glad others have seen this. I did try to tell Mark about it...but he asked me fro a screen shot and this old lap top is just lucky it can make it onto the site! It is very weird because, although I understand what Jennifer is saying.......I cannot imagine SO many people commenting on old blogs all of a sudden. They just seem to be populating here....mostly in the Related Content category....although I have also had two blogs in the blog line up from long ago (2008). and I do have mine prioritized from newest to oldest......so it's not that. Anyway------I have posted on them when I came across them indicating this blog is old....as I saw G do and thought it was a good idea. At least it may keep someone from thinking it's new.

0 Kudos

Also at the bottom it will show you "related links".  I just clicked on one and it took me to a blog from 2015.  That is another thing that is happening.

0 Kudos