cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lauralives

Fear

Hello Everyone, 

I am going to be vulnerable here.  I know I need to stay in the moment, and take it one day at a time.  When a thought creeps in, repeatedly, I feel the need to face it.  I am afraid.  I have been in mostly guarded, unstressful circumstances since Monday, when I quit smoking.  What about when I am around someone smoking?  When, inevitably, I am around people drinking?  I am not drinking and hope to let that addiction go as well.  When I am stressed?  When the love of my life, Luka, my 12 1/2 year old German Shepherd can no longer stand on those wobbly three legs of his, and I have to put him down?  When my kids go through challenges and when I feel so shaky? 

Am I whining here?  I hope not.  I am just voicing my fears.  Experience will help me be more courageous.  Time will give me strength.  Do I trust myself?  Honesty, not completely. 

I do know that I have all of you and this site to support me and I will continue to come back and build my self confidence.

Lauralives because I chose to live without smoking!!

14 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Make a plan of what you will do when faced with these situations that we all are faced with - it is called life.  You can get through all of these things and more without smoking. Decide to do it - and honor that decision.! Here is a link to a blog written by aztec‌ that lists 100 things to do beside smoke!  Maybe it will give you some ideas! Congratulations!

/blogs/aztec-blog/2012/12/30/100-things-to-do-besides-smoke 

My goodness, stop twirling.  Take one day at a time.  We can only control what's in the now.  Not what is in the past and not what might happen in the future.  Here's a good article to read to give you some tips and to let you know that this is normal, /blogs/Dotgirl_1-28-16-blog/2016/04/16/anxiety 

TerrieQuit

I don't keep cigarettes in the house but my fiancee smokes, I have made him promise not to give me one and keep them out of sight. 59 days ago I lost 519 days on impulse and because I saw them and I did not think! It sounds like you are thinking and very aware. Good for you! We must always be vigilant and protect our quit with all our might! You are doing great. Please try Jennifer-Quit‌ suggestion above and follow the link! Try out this group for self-confidence  Positive Affirmations and Support     The topic is Love Yourself! This group has helped me a lot. Stay Strong!   ~Terrie~

Lauralives

Thanks Terrie!  I printed out the 100 things and will now go to those other sites you suggested.  I, personally, do need to think ahead especially as I see events planned in the next two weeks that will involve triggers for me.  Again, I love the support that has been gifted me through this site and all of the wonderful suggestions!!  Laura

Face

Everything

And 

Recover!

@What Works for Me

@Taking Anxiety down from 12 to 3 and heading for 0

What do non-smokers do in these situations Laura? 

They stay away from smokers, they stay away from drinkers who smoke, they cry for their furbabies, they worry about their children, they sometimes feel shaky! But - They don't smoke!

And neither will you! You don't do that anymore!

Recovery means learning to Live Life on Life's Terms without our drug of choice!

Nothing says you have to hang out with smokers in smoking places doing smoking things! Just stay away!

Lauralives

Thank you Thomas! Like my tea bag said today, "Say it straight, simple and

with a smile!" Laura

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Thomas3.20.2010 <

0 Kudos
elvan

You learn to live and to feel things that you kept yourself from feeling by smoking.  I started smoking at age 17 and quit at age 64, just imagine my shock when my 17 year old brain saw my reflection.  Seriously, smoking will not change anything, it distracts you temporarily but it does not make ANY pain go away, it does not resolve ONE problem.  Face that and EMBRACE that, learn to live and to feel what you are supposed to feel when you are supposed to feel it.  This journey is one of great self-discovery.  Sometimes I didn't like myself very much but I cut myself some slack because I knew I wouldn't be crabby forever.  There is an honesty that is born in recovery from nicotine addiction.  You CAN do this, if I can do this ANYONE can!

Lauralives

Thanks Marilyn! So beautifully written. Yes. I've smoked for 45 years.

Yikes! Have quit many times and once for a whole year. Yearning to do

this correctly and FEEL it all. No more hiding. Did you use any NRT?

Lauralives

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Marilyn.H.July.14.14. <

0 Kudos
Lauralives

Sorry Elvan, I wrote Marilyn and meant the message for you!!  Lauralives!

0 Kudos