cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

YoungAtHeart

When is it OK to drink alcohol when quitting smoking?

Drinking alcohol can interfere with your commitment to your quit.  It can lead to "just one won't hurt" thinking. Here is an article that discusses why: .http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/09/smoke-when-drinking-alcohol_n_8511208.html 

Please don't chance it.  A quit is a terrible thing to lose.

5 Replies
meWisconsin

My quit is sound but proud to say that I have only had 3 beers since New Years.

Terry

TerrieQuit

Yes, a quit is "a terrible thing to lose" If you just quit, please don't drink, it lowers your inhibitions! jmho!   ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
MarilynH

If you feel you must have a drink or two, be sure that you feel completely secure in your quit because your quit needs to be your # 1 priority.......thanks for posting this Nancy .

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

My opinion and experience. I never drank that much but I believe when you are at a point and know that  no matter what you will not smoke.  You have to be willing not to smoke even if the alcohol may be a trigger.. Usually between 2-3 months with limited drinking if you prepare yourself. The trigger from alcohol can last a long time. Just like a hangover. Have to make a conscious choice of what you are able to escape the desire to smoke. Some can some can't. You decide on the risk.  You have to be aware of your own vulnerability at any given time. If you are not sure. Don't drink.

I started going out with a friend for lunch out on Sunday's about 6 months into my quit and we'd often have 5-6 margaritas with lunch but, California already had no smoking in restaurants and I certainly wasn't going to walk into a convenience store to buy cigarettes on 6 margaritas. (I was drinking for the taste.  🙂  )

db39_7.JPG

I would watch it the first 3-4 months. Nurse ONE NORMAL sized drink and drink water the rest of the time.