cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

paula11658

3 DAYS NO SMOKING!

its been 3 days without smoking. I have basically confined myself to my apartment fighting the urge to buy a pack. I did not find this site until this afternoon and appreciate all the knowledge and hands on information I have taken in already.

I have done this cold turkey this time - have tried patches and ecigs but has not worked for me. I know I had quit cold turkey when I was pregnant with my children (ha one is now 35 and one is 29) but sine how always managed to start again .... don't want to do that any more - the lat time I tried this was 5/2016 but it did not work - I was able to stay smoke free while at work for 9 to 10 hours but couldn't manage the drive to and from work...now I am unemployed since 12/1/16 - so no longer have the excuse of the drive to and from work to smoke - anyway I am grateful that I made it 3 days and am looking forward to make this a life long commitment .

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

3 days is a great start to a lifetime of freedom from smoking!  I believe I was on day 3 when I discovered this site - and this site and the wonderful people here truly changed my life.  I am attaching a blog of mine with some links that might be helpful!  Others will be along shortly with more advise and encouragement.  Congratulations!

Freedom!

Hi Paula!

Go to the https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex?sr=search&searchId=0a1ec992-5e15-46a0-af13-706a... and read! You'll have something to do instead of thinking about smoking. Also try to distance yourself from those thoughts. "I'm having the thought that I have to have a cigarette but I will be alright without one!" And you absolutely will! Nobody was harmed by quitting but smoking kills!

There's lots of good reading here and if you run out of today's supply - pick somebody you connect with and go to their page and read their content! You will see that we all started right where you are but we very soon found ourselves in a much better place! 

You can do this too! One day, one hour, one minute at a time! Thoughts and feelings can drive you nuts but actions are what counts! Keep them away from your face!

susan_m

Congratulations, Paula!!!  This site is very helpful, I hope you'll stay close to it. 

Three days...that's wonderful. 72 hours is your first real milestone. Don't give up....you're worth fighting for!!

Susan

sparky26

Congrats on 3 days  smoke free , and congratulations on finding us here at become an ex. You 'll find so much help and support here , we were all smokers just like you so we know and remember how rough the first week can be . But just stay the course , you can do this , and we are here to help you and cheer you on .

MarilynH

Welcome to the site, stay close and read everything you can about quitting smoking and Remaining Quit because there's a wealth of information here that will strengthen your resolve to live a life of Freedom....

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and your first 72 hours!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/5711492/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

Congratulations, Paula.  I promise you that it will get easier, I remember how hard it seemed at the beginning.  Caring for and nurturing our quits is worth every single bit of discomfort we go through, stick with us and you will look back on this blog and any of your other blogs and you will feel more empowered than you can imagine.  This is a journey and sometimes it is like rock climbing but that's what life is like up and down, easy and hard, recovering from addiction is discovering who we really are.

Ellen

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome. pastedImage_1.jpg

Congratulationson 3 days smoke free the nicotine should be out of your system if you are not using NRT's

i won't  bombard you with a lot of information just to start but here is a little bit of info to help you get started

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to the home click on Community Help top right corner We will support you. You are in your journey for freedom.

Strudel

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your quit! You can do this! Be sure to check out the Carr book given above.  Stick close here - keep posting!