cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lisalhh

On my way ... slowly but surely

Well, folks, according to my Chantix instructions today. However, when I got down to 2-3 cigs/week (the closest I've gotten to this point in my quit), I did it by finishing my last pack. So I'm going to take that avenue again. Unfortunately, that may take a while.

The Chantix seems to be making the cigs actually taste BAD! I have to relight a cig two or three times to finish it. I think this is a plus, but now it will push back my quit date that much farther.

Has anyone else used Chantix and experienced this phenomenon? For that matter, who can share their path down the Chantix road with me?

Thanks again to everyone for their interest in helping me.

- LisaLHH

P.S. Just call me Lisa!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome back.  You are doing the right thing by staying close. Chantix was designed to make the cigs taste bad.  They help to take the edge off of smoking but you still have to do some work.  I used Wellbutrin for several months. You have to set goals  and relearn different behavior.  There is no cure all in the pills.  Read Study Blog you will be fine.  No matter what just don't take another puff.  
That is why we say NOPE

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

If the course of Chantix suggests you stop now, I would recommend you stop now  How did smoking that last pack work out for you LAST time?  If you have done the reading, understand your triggers, have your plan, why does smoking that pack seem like a good idea?  Just wet those suckers down, throw them in the trash, and start your journey to freedom. 

Let us know how we can help.  This takes some effort in the early days, but it is so worth it - I promise!

Nancy

0 Kudos
sophia-22

Hi Lisa I took Chantix for 3 months. I smoked as I usually did for the first week and into the second week the cigarettes tasted awful so I totally stopped smoking into the second week. For two days after that I couldn't taste food. It was like all my taste buds were gone. After a few days everything was back to normal. It actually helped me with the cravings in the beginning and also helped with the depression that comes with the lack of dopamine from the nicotine addiction cycle. I am weaning myself off of Chantix now and feeling good. I've been smoke free for 90 days! Let me know if you have any other questions I may be able to help.

I agree with Nancy if the cigarettes taste awful stop now throw them out and start being a ex-smoker!

Linda

0 Kudos