cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lauralives

Quit Smoking Aids

Hello, this is day two for me and I sure feel out of it.  I've quit many times before and as many of you know, every quit is different.  With this quit I decided to use the patch.  Although the adhesive leaves a red patch on my skin for days, it has been more effective than other aids.  I am sharing to remind myself and others not too wait to long in the morning before using the aid.  I was up for more than 3 hours before I put the patch on because I planned on going to the gym and then shower before putting on a patch.  I became pretty disoriented and irritated and I do know that is part of the quitting process but know in the first few weeks it's good for me to have nicotine replacement so I don't just throw in the towel because of Stinkin Thinkin.   I do have the small mints too and will use them in the future when I am going to wait.  It's a slippery slope when you are in your first days of quitting and think you can wait for hours before using an aid.  I know some of you probably didn't use one and that's great, but the last several times I quit, that just didn't work for me. 

I also want to again thank the EX community for this forum.  You are all very supportive and I appreciate it!!

Lauralives

15 Replies
Giulia

I am sharing to remind myself and others not too wait to long in the morning before using the aid. 

Good info!  Day TWO!!!!   All right!  You're rockin' this!

0 Kudos

Congrats on day 2!!  I used the patch as well.  I ALWAYS had one stuck to my skin, even if I was showering soon.  If it fell off, I always had and extra one in my purse that I can slap on.  I found the cheap brand stuck better than the Nicoderm.  I used the Walmart brand.  Stuck better and half the price!

0 Kudos
Lauralives

Thank you Kristen. You are so right. It's taken me a while to recover this morning. ❤

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Mortalzeus

It seems I lived with the patch for the first month or so and I always had my mint lozenges in my pocket.  Funny story, but I was swallowing the lozenges at first! I Really gotta learn to read directions:)  I would do like you and go to the gym in the morning, then put on a new patch (I slept with the patch from the day earlier).  I Never really got a rash, but my skin would itch at times (always alternated between right and left shoulder).  Also, I stuck with the highest dosage possible and always carried around a full box (my quit security blanket).  YOU GO THIS!

0 Kudos

I used the patch also.  Walmart brand.  You can stick those things anywhere, well, almost.  I had mine on 24/7.  I slept like a baby and had such wonderful dreams.  I know that the first couple days when stepping down were a little rough, but then I adjusted to the lower dose of nicotine. Try putting it on right after your gym shower, and keep it on until the next day and take it off before you go to work out the next day.  Gauge your mood.  You might not have to slap another one on for a few hours afterwards, who knows

0 Kudos
Lauralives

Thanks so much. I realize I may need more on hand than I have now. Also realize I'm fine if everything goes smoothly but.... well that's not reality. When there is any conflict I want to run outside and smoke. I haven't though!!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos

oh, I hear ya.  If the wind blew the wrong direction, I'd be smoking.  I'd find every and any excuse to smoke.  Here's a good article /blogs/Giulia-blog/2013/08/12/understanding-excuses 

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Hello, and Welcome to EX Lauralives‌!
We are so glad you are here! This is a great place to quit smoking. Congratulations on day 2!

Education, willingness to do whatever it takes not to smoke, determination and commitment are the keys to a successful quit!
I would like to recommend a group called, The daily Pledge here is a link

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/4532-happy-new-year-keep-it-happy-guard-your-quit-with-a-d...

It's fun and will help reinforce your commitment not to smoke!
At the top of the page just under the title, it says the latest reply, click that and it will take you to the last person that pledged, comment on the pledge and take that person's hand and promise not to smoke, and then offer your free hand to the next pledge, we keep each other strong in our quits! You can state your # of days, post a picture or whatever you want! This is your quit be proud of it!
Hope to see you there! ~Terrie!~

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

That link will change in the wee hours of the morning as we move into February. It should have a name like FebruaryPledge2017‌ or something like that! I will post that Feb. Pledge page is up and give a link at that time. 

0 Kudos