cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

luapnodyl

What strategies help you deal with doubt?

Hi. I've set my quit date and have two weeks to go. Counting my cigarettes has really helped and I realised I was smoking more than I thought. Problem is that as I get nearer to the big day I've started rationalising setting the date back. I know from experience if I do that then it'll be another several months before I try again. Some of my excuses have been very creative up to and including 'why quit, you've probably done the damage already so what could you possibly gain?'.

It'd be useful to hear if anyone else has had this and what sort of strategies you have used to help deal with the seductive little arguments that pop up in your head to convince you to keep smoking a bit longer. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
Giulia

Greetings!  It's quite typical to begin coming up with excuses as one nears their quit date.  It's just fear based.  And its our addictive mind trying to protect it's addiction and normalcy.  We're afraid we won't know who we are after we quit, nor how we'll be able to deal with life.  Change is scary.  But it won't kill us.  Smoking, on the other hand - will.

First recognize that anything you come up with to not follow through with your commitment IS an excuse.  In order to break this addition we have to first see and recognize the excuses for what they are and then stop them in their tracks.  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2016/11/20/excuses?sr=search&searchId=8c0c3cc4-2e13-429b-b46f-ebdd1bc3ec99&search... Part of the learning process when quitting is learning to accept the journey - all of it - for as long as it takes.  Think about it - you've CHOSEN to do this.  Why fight it?  Agree to it and things will go a whole lot easier for you.  

A positive mindset it one of the first major lessons to learn.  And how do you achieve such?  By reading.  Read everything you can.  Start with https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex?sr=search&searchId=8a10ec51-b062-4dd1-873e-2242...‌  There's a lot of good material in there.  Also https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/relapse-prevention?sr=search&searchId=8b8193ab-2c51-46dc-9...‌.  From the latter you'll learn about the pitfalls and how to prevent them.  And stay connected here.  We've just migrated from another platform and are like little lambs lost in the woods getting our bearings ourselves.  But the blogs and conversations will begin to be more about quitting rather than how to find our way around this site.  If I can help, just leave a message on this reply and I'll get notified and do what I can to assist.  Have heart!  See it as fun challenge, a way to learn more about yourself and grow,  rather than a miserable mountain to climb.  "Change the way you look at things and the thing you look at will change."

luapnodyl

Hi. I know - I go through this each time. Initial strong motivation that comes with a sense of relief that, as the quit day draws near, gets replaced with a sense of impending loss. I understand the addiction cycle, I lecture in Psychology, yet when it's personal it's amazing how I can completely put everything I know to one side. Total cognitive dissonance. Anyhow, this time I'm determined to make it stick. It really helps to have support.

0 Kudos

One effect of Addiction is that it blocks your ability to take control of your Life. But it can't stop you! You are stronger than Nicotine Addiction! Have the will to commit! You don't have to eat the whole elephant in one bite! Just take one bite at a time!

Just for today, I will commit to my Quit! I will do the reading that Giulia suggested! 

Just for today, I will commit to my Quit! I will find and follow the Freedom Train, the Daily Pledge, and Positive Affirmations and Support!

Just for today, I will commit to my Quit! I will make a list of why I want to Quit!

Just for today, I will commit to my Quit! I will decide what I will do instead when I become tempted!

Just for today, I will commit to my Quit! I will follow people on here who can help me adjust my Quititude!

This is done one day at a time! That's all you need to Succeed! That's doable!

luapnodyl

Today is going to be a busy day but good mantras. Many thanks for that.  I'm going to add 'Today I won't give time to that voice in my head telling me I'm missing out on something'. 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Hello and Welcome to EX!  Quitting smoking will be the best decision that you will ever make!   I am attaching a link to my welcome blog that has links to some helpful reading material.  The Alan Carr book will help to get your mind in the right place to quit.  Best wishes to you.

/blogs/Jennifer_Quit_05-01-14-blog/2017/01/26/freedom 

luapnodyl

Thanks for the link - that's a real help. I'll try the Alan Carr book - it worked for my wife. I was determined to do it under my own steam. That's probably why I'm a secret smoker now. Makes life very complicated. It would be good to not have to hide.

0 Kudos
sophia-22

Hello and welcome! I also recommend reading Freedom from Nicotine. I really believe that educating yourself on nicotine addiction and how to cope with sudden urges helps keep your quit. I'm not sure how to attach a pdf. You can find the book this website. Just scroll to the bottom.

Freedom from Nicotine

Lauralives

Thank you Sophia!! Will do. Laura

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos

I think I actually spent 2 years bargaining, telling myself well, when cigarettes get to be this much, I'll quit.  I'll quit after this carton is done.  Please spend time on the second where it asks you how I plan to separate from them.  Be sure to save that or print it because in the first 2 months you'll be looking back at it.  the first month is tough, but if it works for you to do it on the short term, just wake up and say, I'm not smoking today.  If you can't do it cold turkey, try the nicotine patch or the gum or lozenge.  I personally feel you should just use one of those and not all three.  You run the risk of actually overdosing on nicotine.  I knew when I set my quit date a year ago, I actually felt the sense of panic when it was close.  I distinctly remember thinking I really can't imagine myself as a nonsmoker.  Man, I've done this for 43 years.  I can't even remember what's it like being a nonsmoker.  But I'm going to tell you, the first spring I smelled that lilac tree that I lived across the street from for 20-some years was sheer heaven.  I had no sense of smell anymore to really notice that on windy days.  Hop on my profile by clicking my name.  Under featured content, there's a blog for new members.  there's some blogs that I have written, a video, some blogs other people have written.  What you are feeling is normal, what you need to believe is this is doable