cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Don't Believe Everything You Think!

We have between 50,000 - 70, 000 thoughts a day. As quitting Addicts many of those thoughts are urges to smoke incited by physical and psychological Nicotine Withdrawal. Actually the physical part is the easier of the two. 

Psychological Withdrawal is much more challenging but it is doable! First, you have to connect with your willingness to Quit! Everyone here has that or they wouldn't have come here in the first place.

But we all know how the longer we go without a Sickerette the noisier those urgent thoughts are - but only for awhile! All of a sudden it seems like that's all you can hear! So it helps to prepare while you're still smoking. Make a list of reasons you want to quit with a Sickerette dangling from your lip. Then draw a line in the sand - set a Quit Date. Tell your Family and Friends that you are quitting. Commit to that Date!

Don't waste your time cutting back. Read The Easy Way by Allen Carr. Read quitsmokingonline.com. Read whyquit.com and when your Date comes around - Just Do It! Pledge that for the next 24 hours you will not smoke for any reason No Matter What! Then respect yourself enough to honor this commitment! 

Yes, your thoughts and feelings will go bonkers but you have a commitment to keep to the most important person in your Life - YOU! And once your Addicted Brain realizes that the urgent voice calms down so the window of time is up to you! Once you know you are Quitting there's nothing else your Brain can (or will) say to you on the subject so it stops all of the chatter. 

Then it's a matter of stacking those Days - One Day at a Time!

There's a lot of fancy scientific explanations I could give for all this but let me keep it simple - It Works!

BecomeanEX and find your FREEDOM from Nicotine Addiction for Life - a Life you get to decide not your Addiction!

3 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

That is how it is done - for each and every one of us - one day at a time! Thanks for sharing Thomas!

0 Kudos
c2q

I love this quote. Thanks, Thomas. I I love the reminder - 

Once you know you are Quitting there's nothing else your Brain can (or will) say to you on the subject so it stops all of the chatter

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

It works, and every one of us here counting our DOFs had to learn it.  But we are learning it: the Freedom from addiction, and it is never too late.