cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elvan

I don't have a clue how to use this site

Alright, I have been away and I am completely befuddled by this new format.  I will make a decision at some point about whether or not I can continue here.  I am not interested in gaming, quitting smoking is not a game, it is a one day at a time journey, perhaps I do not understand what has happened.  I certainly do not understand the idea that there have to be so many rules.  For one thing, many people, myself included, use capital letters to emphasize the importance of what we are trying to say, I do not think it comes across as anger.  I also am profoundly offended that I am expected to alter my form of communicating and I am supposed to agree to certain conditions in order to be part of a community...yes a community that is supposed to be supportive and helpful to others.  I feel as though I need to take some sort of course to be able to remain a part of the community.  To read that Thomas, who is one of the most powerful contributors to this site, has decided to leave, is seriously devastating.  I went away for a little over a week, I could not keep in touch because I had no wireless access.  I have clicked on community help over and over again and nothing happens.  Oh...do I have to agree to something first?  Is that the issue.  I am not using capital letters but I am feeling angry and I am not sure what I am supposed to do from here.  I expected to return to the site and be able to easily move into the new format.  I was not expecting so many changes.  I am tired, I do not easily adapt to changes, I apparently need to take a course to learn how to use this site for the purpose I thought it was originally designed to do, I am sad.#@

Tags (1)
39 Replies

Ellen - This is only the second full day with the new site.  Many who had a negative response at first are now putting their energy into learning how to navigate here - it really is not as bad as you think.  There are many good things about the new platform.  Do not give up before you even get started. I will help you any way that I can - I am not an expert - but I can find my way around.  

The guidelines that we agreed to are not new - they were always a part of this community.  I do not think that you or anyone else will be reprimanded because of using all caps occasionally.

WELCOME HOME ELLEN!

Look above at what is possible to emphasize something.  Look at this as an adventure! 

I will be happy to give you my number and I would be available to help tonight by phone.

hi ellen!    I feel the same way you do.......... but im willing to give it a try..   i,m so computer unsavy you would not believe.. jen is right and she will help you out..   your one of the main rocks around here we need you.   I,m not around much but I always love to read the blogs....                 everyone loves you ellen.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

elvan‌ Welcome back from your vacation.  I hope it was relaxing.  Sorry that you have come back only to become stressed.  We certainly didn't intend on that.  

The site has changed a bit and there are a wide variety of opinions at this point.  We're soaking up all that feedback so that we can continue to improve. The old site had to be replaced and we looked at all the options and picked the best solution based on the feedback and needs of the community.

You are absolutely right about this not being a game.  Yes there are quests so that people go through the different capabilities of the website to learn how to utilize the functionality available. It's not to indicate one person is better than the next.  We're all equals.  The more you know about the site and how to interact, hopefully the more able you are to benefit from interactions from others to quit.  

There are rules to protect the members of the community. Unfortunately some people(usually the minority) think that when they're online that they can do anything because it is anonymous.  When people act out against others, that's not ok.  Quitting is hard, it's evident. I've read lots of posts on it.  The CAPS rule is so that people don't get into shouting matches at each other.  That's not constructive.  Certainly if someone wants to provide emphasis on something then that's okay.  We have some great formatting options now on the site that allows you to call out certain things.  That's completely OK.  Scientifically speaking it would be difficult to read a whole post in CAPS.  Frankly, my head would hurt and I would probably stop after the second line. It takes more brain power to read all caps than it does lowercase because we read shapes, not letters.  

As with all online communities there are rules you must accept to be part of the community.The rules are to keep the rule breakers at bay and protect the people who are there day in and day out.  If there weren't rules and we let everything happen it wouldn't be a place anyone would want to be.  Honestly I haven't had to enforce the rules that often but if someone is being abusive to another member of the community there needs to be something to reference to say... You broke X rule and so you need to either not do that any more you won't be welcome in the community.  The community is sacred. It should be a place for everyone who wants to be here.

Yes the site has changed and things have moved around a bit.  Most of the information is here but some is still pending (Message Board Posts, Forum Discussions and Private Messages). The old site didn't have a lot of "structure" or navigation so it appeared very simplistic yet we took something that was all over the place and consolidated things down as much we could to provide focus.  Not everyone was into blogging so we have some lower effort options like Ask a Question and Start a Discussion to get more people involved. 

We have a Getting Started Guide to help let you know how to do things on the site and we (scha exproductmgr) have people here who want help. If you have a question that isn't there you can post it in the https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/community-help?sr=search&searchId=19d4bb99-dd8d-4dbb-be...‌ area and we'll respond. 

I'm not sure why you had trouble getting to the https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/community-help?sr=search&searchId=19d4bb99-dd8d-4dbb-be...‌ section. If it was your first time visiting the site after the move you would have had to accept the Site Rules before continuing if you had logged in.  Once they're accepted then you can navigate around the site as normal.  If you're just a Guest you can view the site without accepting the rules but you cannot participate.  Because you have posted your question here, you must have successfully accepted the rules. 

Please let me know how I can be of assistance.  We've answered quite a few questions already so you can find answers by searching with the magnifying glass in the upper right. If you cannot find an answer, don't hesitate to ask a question here in Community Help and we'll do our best to answer it.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
RachelMB

Welcome home Ellen!  I hope you had a wonderful time in Martinique.   The site definitely takes getting used to.  I'm not very computer savvy, but I will help you in any way that I can.  We can do this-it's just going to take some time.  Definitely don't go away!  We need you here!   

brittann3

elvan‌ Jennifer is so right!! This is still new and even for newbies like me it's a lot to take in and learn! But I promise you, if you give it time, maybe decide to learn just 1 new thing a day, it won't be as overwhelming or intimidating. There were so many, many things we were unable to do on the old format and I for one am excited to see that the Ex community is growing enough not to be left in the technological dust like some other sites. I'm pretty psyched to learn the new things we can do with it. Look through the new processes and just take it one step at a time. And take someone's hand willing to walk you through it and I promise you will get the hang of it!!

0 Kudos
Strudel

Ellen - Welcome home! We will figure this out....I promise! I am working on it right now. Although I am still frustrated (I feel your pain!), I am optimistic in thinking that slowly - but surely - we will find a way! Do a little at a time - otherwise it can be overwhelming. I want to know how to do everything I am used to doing here.....and I realize that isn't going to happen all at once. I will just come back each day and figure out as much as I can!  TheGetting Started Guide Mark mentioned can be a starting place. I did at least get my profile page (kind of!!) set up. 

So - one step at a time - but, we already know about that!! Please - hang on! 

Love you!
Kathy

Frustrating yes but like quitting smoking this new format is doable, I gave myself a headache yesterday because I stayed on line way too long trying to figure it out. So today I'm taking easy but I've figured out quite a bit but have long way to go but I think it's going to be A OK....

0 Kudos
Giulia

elvan‌ Yes, it's a lot to take in.  But as - who was it, Pops? said, just take it one step at a time.  Not that much different than quitting smoking.  We're all in this together and we'll all help each other figure it out.  There are many beneficial functions, I think, on this new platform.  The @ feature being one.  Don't despair.  And please don't go away.  We need all our Elders here.  We're part of the lifeblood of the place.  Ya know?  Have heart.  If I can help (the little I've learned in two days), respond to this with an Giulia‌  Or click on my avatar and if we're following each other you can send me a message. 

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome back Ellen, I'm sure you were totally overwhelmed coming back from vacation and probably thinking yikes what's going on but you can figure it out but not all at once, just maneuver around and check everything out, I'm still learning too but I think it's going to be great. I even posted a pic because it's so much easier, there's quite a few pluses, welcome back my friend and fellow Exer.....

0 Kudos