cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mandolinrain

Weight gain/Loss while quitting

#Hi all, I thought this may be a good topic to discuss/share your thoughts as to how you have managed your weight since quitting. I know a lot of newbies are scared to even quit for fear of the weight gain. 

Personally I used to worry about weight gain when I quit. I was very ,unchanged ( and still am) into fitness. I'm no gym rat but I do like to take care of myself and enjoy a variety of activities, which by he way, are even more enjoyable. Ow since I don't smoke anymore.

Anyway, when I finally decided to buckle down and quit smoking once and for all I made a decision that I would not dwell on my food intake. Period. I felt it was more important for me to quit smoking and deal with the excess weight when I had a better handle on my quit. 

I did gain nearly 20 lbs. but am happy to say it was short lived and I am enjoying a comfortable weight these days. It took me about a year before I really attacked the body weight. But I was okay with that because I was so proud to not be smoking. I had a few friends who remained to be smokers and I was uncomfortable seeing they were still looking good and I was gaining....

but now let me tell you what,.....They are STILL smoking, I am not....and I feel and look terrific , they are struggling.  I really happy I stuck with it and they want what I have. Well they can have it if they come here.

So that being said, don't be so hard on yourself if your new at this and concerned about your weight. Your emotions will level off and you'll begin to 'heal' inside and you can begin to address the excess body weight.

Here are a few tips that helped me:

1. Water , I drink a lot of water, tea, green tea, ice tea 

2. Movement. You don't have to be a gym rat to lose weight. Walk. Just don't sit around.

3. Clean out your closets. All over your house and organize them. It's a good feeling.

4. Start your day taking care of YOU FIRST. Take the time to 'Gussy up' a little bit. Now I don't mean like a dress and all or a suit.....I simply mean, no crappy dirty baggy, clothes that don't fit. Groom your hair, makeup. I always feel refreshed and have a better attitude towards everything if I take care of me first.

5. Help someone else. Run errands , say kind words, be thoughtful, think before you spit out your words.

Helping others is a sure way to get your mind off of your worries and helps you realize, things are not as bad as they seem.

And finally, start and end your day with prayer and gratitude . 

Have a great smoke free day! Hope I did this right, still trying to figure things out on this site.  

2 Replies
susan_m

This is fantastic information that will be helpful to many.  Thank you for taking the time to write it and share!

Susan

0 Kudos
plug66

GREAT BLOG....ENJOYED IT

0 Kudos