cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Giulia

Many Questions

Jump to solution
  1. Any way to flag a post in our inbox so we can find it more easily?  There are so many posts in my inbox because of whom I'm following it's gotten totally overwhelming and I've actually started to unfollow to calm things down.  If we could flag those posts we need to return to it would be ever so helpful.
  2. Can we delete posts from our inbox?  Or will there just eventually be five billion of them?  I understand there's an ability to filter new content only, but even so...
  3. Why do some people have a "send a message" wheel widget on the right beside the follow sign and others not?  It seems to have nothing to do with whether we're following them or not.
  4. What’s the difference between "helpful" and "like" on responses?  Just earns different badges for people?
  5. What are the rewards we gain by giving away extra points of our own?
  6. Virality Mission:  Have your file downloaded by someone else?  What file?  Some link we provided?  Having more information about all the badges and quests would be helpful.
  7. Blogs don't seem to have as many font tools, no emoticons, etc.  More limited functionality than discussions.  And apparently no way to edit or delete a response.  No actions available in responses to conversation  either it seems?  So only if we are the original poster can we edit?
  8. Any way to do a global search and replace for stuff like this throughout the site?:  (or if I’m out in the car I go to a gas station)....I walk in....I’m already feeling guilty...  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/1789-replay-the-relapse
  9. Are the messages we send to people private?  i.e. does anyone else have the ability to read them?  Are they the same as a PM on ELGG?
  10. If we're following something like the Daily Pledge or the Train, is there any way to stop the notifications once we've responded other than just doing it each day?  Because if there are 40 responses on the Pledge Page, every single one is coming into our inbox (& or emails if we have email notifications set to on)?
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager
  1. Any way to flag a post in our inbox so we can find it more easily?  There are so many posts in my inbox because of whom I'm following it's gotten totally overwhelming and I've actually started to unfollow to calm things down.  If we could flag those posts we need to return to it would be ever so helpful.
    There isn't any function to flag something as important.  You can mark something Unread again by clicking on the little gray circle to turn it back to blue (unread).  Or you could set up a Task for yourself. Go to Pencil Icon and then look for Task and then create a task.
  2. Can we delete posts from our inbox?  Or will there just eventually be five billion of them?  I understand there's an ability to filter new content only, but even so...
    No way to delete.  Sorry.  But there is search now so you can find that old direct message from years ago.  Yes you can limit it to Unread Notifications only or Filter it to only Direct Messages or other messages.  please remember.  If you click the Unread box and then do a search it will only search the "Unread messages" for the words. It will not search the read messages too.
  3. Why do some people have a "send a message" wheel widget on the right beside the follow sign and others not?  It seems to have nothing to do with whether we're following them or not.
    You have to follow the person and they have to follow you to send each other messages.  This was done intentionally to protect you from getting solicitations via Private Message. It was a problem on the Elgg community. You can send exproductmgr and Mark a message without following us through the actions drop down on our profiles.  If someone isn't following you but you are and you want to send them a private message.  A good way would be to let them know by @mentioning them on something to get their attention.
  4. What’s the difference between "helpful" and "like" on responses?  Just earns different badges for people?
    Helpful lets others know that a response was helpful.  Like can be seen around the site. It may not solve a problem but maybe it's well worded.  It lets the author know you appreciate what they did.
    It's a great way to THANK someone for responding and acknowledge them for the time they spent.  There are countless people on here who give their time to others who are attempting to quit.  They're paying it forward.  This is one way to thank them for their efforts.
  6. Virality Mission:  Have your file downloaded by someone else?  What file?  Some link we provided?  Having more information about all the badges and quests would be helpful.
    Let's say you upload a video or a word document or a picture.  Someone downloads the file to takes a look at it on their computer. Virality Mission Complete, Yay!   Yes I'll see what we can get together for you.
  7. Blogs don't seem to have as many font tools, no emoticons, etc.  More limited functionality than discussions.  And apparently no way to edit or delete a response.  No actions available in responses to conversation  either it seems?  So only if we are the original poster can we edit?
    I'll look into this and compare. They shouldn't be fundamentally different. If there is I'll see how to get them the same.
  8. Any way to do a global search and replace for stuff like this throughout the site?:  (or if I’m out in the car I go to a gas station)....I walk in....I’m already feeling guilty...  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/1789-replay-the-relapse
    Not sure I understand the question. Those are some odd symbols.  I fixed the post and removed them as that wasn't good for search.  
    You can use the search functionality in the upper right. The Magnifying glass. Use is just like Google.  As you type it keeps refining the search results. It matches people, places and content.  If you put something in Quotes it will search strictly the text in that order.  If you are in the Conversations‌ community and you search something you can have it restrict results by clicking the link in the search pop-up... Otherwise it searches the entire communityExample: 
  9. Are the messages we send to people private?  i.e. does anyone else have the ability to read them?  Are they the same as a PM on ELGG?
    Yes, they are private.  Others can't see them.  If you do a message to multiple people, others in the Direct Message chain will see the comments.  
  10. If we're following something like the Daily Pledge or the Train, is there any way to stop the notifications once we've responded other than just doing it each day?  Because if there are 40 responses on the Pledge Page, every single one is coming into our inbox (& or emails if we have email notifications set to on)?
    Not other than how you have described. Unclick that Inbox box under Actions in the Content you want to unsubscribe from.
    Unsubscribe-from-content.png
EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MarilynH

I'm being totally overwhelmed too, I hope there's a way to straighten it out. I don't want to unfriend anyone but whew these hundreds of Emails is too much, thanks Giulia for posting this because we're probably having the same issue......

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Giulia

I am composing a reply to your questions.  Just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten about this.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Wow, such great questions! I am very anxious to see some of the answers! Thanks for this, Giulia!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager
    There isn't any function to flag something as important.  You can mark something Unread again by clicking on the little gray circle to turn it back to blue (unread).  Or you could set up a Task for yourself. Go to Pencil Icon and then look for Task and then create a task.
    No way to delete.  Sorry.  But there is search now so you can find that old direct message from years ago.  Yes you can limit it to Unread Notifications only or Filter it to only Direct Messages or other messages.  please remember.  If you click the Unread box and then do a search it will only search the "Unread messages" for the words. It will not search the read messages too.
    You have to follow the person and they have to follow you to send each other messages.  This was done intentionally to protect you from getting solicitations via Private Message. It was a problem on the Elgg community. You can send exproductmgr and Mark a message without following us through the actions drop down on our profiles.  If someone isn't following you but you are and you want to send them a private message.  A good way would be to let them know by @mentioning them on something to get their attention.
    Helpful lets others know that a response was helpful.  Like can be seen around the site. It may not solve a problem but maybe it's well worded.  It lets the author know you appreciate what they did.
    It's a great way to THANK someone for responding and acknowledge them for the time they spent.  There are countless people on here who give their time to others who are attempting to quit.  They're paying it forward.  This is one way to thank them for their efforts.
    Let's say you upload a video or a word document or a picture.  Someone downloads the file to takes a look at it on their computer. Virality Mission Complete, Yay!   Yes I'll see what we can get together for you.
    I'll look into this and compare. They shouldn't be fundamentally different. If there is I'll see how to get them the same.
    Not sure I understand the question. Those are some odd symbols.  I fixed the post and removed them as that wasn't good for search.  
    You can use the search functionality in the upper right. The Magnifying glass. Use is just like Google.  As you type it keeps refining the search results. It matches people, places and content.  If you put something in Quotes it will search strictly the text in that order.  If you are in the Conversations‌ community and you search something you can have it restrict results by clicking the link in the search pop-up... Otherwise it searches the entire communityExample: 
    Yes, they are private.  Others can't see them.  If you do a message to multiple people, others in the Direct Message chain will see the comments.  
    Not other than how you have described. Unclick that Inbox box under Actions in the Content you want to unsubscribe from.
    Unsubscribe-from-content.png
EX Community Admin Team

THANK YOU so much for the in-depth response.

1.  Great idea to use the "task" function to put in a link or reminder of someone or something you want to get back to.

3.  Got it.  So if there's no no cogwheel symbol on the right side of their name next to  "following," it means THEY aren't following us even if we're following them. 

4.  Got that, but is it not true that clicking "helpful" or "like" also gives member points?

6.  So someone downloads someone's photo or video.  Is that the same as right clicking on a photo and doing a copy/save image onto their computer?  Ah, yes, now I see.  There's a download button on the bottom right under photos, etc.  So then the only real difference is if you click on that button, then stats will be recorded.  Gotta get that Virality Mission Complete!

8.  No, I meant not a search and replace for the users, I mean the EX Team tech people should do a search and replace for all those odd types of coding symbols from days gone by on other platforms so we the users don't see them in old postings.  May be too hard to do now that the entire site has been migrated. 

10.  Hmmm.  Ok. 

Really appreciate you're taking the time that you did to respond.  I think others will find this helpful also. 

PS - one thing I just discovered:  I wanted to go back and edit what I wrote, but the "action" button didn't give me that option. I'm thinking the reason why is because I wasn't in the actual discussion, but rather responding to it from my inbox or email.  In order to edit, I had to go back up to the heading and click on it where it refreshed, then go back down to my post.  Then the action button gave me the edit function.  Something for users to be made aware of. 

0 Kudos

Is this answered for you now Giulia‌? If so, please mark appropriately.

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos