cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Susan59

I quit on 2/25/2008.....

Hi my name is Susan and I started this group on 4/18/08. I have been quit since 2/25/2008. I believe groups like this are a major factor in my remaining quit and I wanted to start one here.

In these last 53 days I have learned some things. I'll talk about them as we get going but the most important one is this.

1. I am a nicotine addict and because of that I can never have another puff..ever.

That was a hard reality for me to get my head around....I am a strong person...I have a certain amount of will power ....not one puff ever? Nope not one.

If I have a single puff I will more then likely relapse.....just as a heroin addict must stop totally...I have to as well. I am a nic addict.

Wilh that realization freaking me out,,,,I went to the next.

2. An urge for a cig only lasts 3 minutes. This is true. If you can get through 3 minutes it is done. So I have been quitting 3 minutes at a time.

So to end this short note. I am a nic addict that can get through a whole lot of 3 minute urges. It feels so good to be free.....you can do this too!

I hope we can start a great group here.

Susan
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Susan59

Sandee

Hope your day went well. You can do this quit!!

Susan
0 Kudos
brenda15

I just wanted to say Hi...I havent had a cig sence 10:00 this morning and it 10:00 pm now...I am Ok..If my husband brings home cigs in the morning I might not be but I am really trying to get past the 72 hr mark .if I can make it there I am sure I can go all the way this time (last time I quit I made it 10 months) but didnt realize what "just one" would do. now I know...
0 Kudos
Susan59

You can do it Brenda. The first 3 days are the hardest. Just make sure you are prepared when those craves hit. Breathe deep, drink alot of water, take a walk, eat mints...anything to keep busy. You will get through them.....they only last 3 minutes and you can do this 3 minutes at a time!! You can do this!!
Life is so cool without cigs!!

Prayers Susan Day 108
0 Kudos