cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

kellie3

Things to ask the doctor

I am just terrible at asking questions from the doctor. Is it just me? I have such good intentions when I go there and then I get back home and say CRAP, I did it again!

So these are my questions...
[ I understand everyone is different, and no one here is a doctor, but if anyone has any answers... HOLLER, or at least speak up with ideas. LOL]

~~The big one... Life expectancy with severe emphysema/copd?
not that I will take it to heart and give up. Quite the contrary, I just wanna know what I am up against.

~~ I am on Spiriva, albuterol (rescue inhaler) and advair, I started all these fairly recently so I am not sure what the average side effects are. I have noticed the last week my eyes feel cloudy and dry. By the time I go to bed at night my eyes are yellowish/red color, that goes away by morning. Anyone else have this problem?

~~ I began excercising about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Nothing strenious, just walking, about a mile every morning.
When I near the end of my walk (after several stops to catch my breath) my arms and fingers and feet begin to tingle like they are asleep. Does anyone know what could cause this? And, should I be alarmed?

~~ I took one of those sleeping oxygen level tests with the clippy thing that goes on your finger. The doctor called and wants me to come in for a sleep study (which I have postponed until I can get insurance). He said my oxygen saturation level drops from averaging 90 to low 70's. So..... What is normal? And, if I don't snore or quit breathing at night, does this mean my breathing just gets shallow and not enough?

I am new to this diagnoses and really haven't asked much of the doctor. Also, he hasn't brought it up and I forget to ask... Are there occaisions or circumstances I should avoid?

Thanks groupies. LoL
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Kellie, I think you are concentrating way too much on the life expectancy part of your diagnosis. I don't really think there is a life expectancy. You could just as easily walk out to your mailbox and get hit by a hit and run driver as die from your emphysema in 40 years from now. My mom was diagnosed with emphysema at least 20 years ago. I don't think it was severe when she was first diagnosed, and I don't think she really understood what it was: I still don't think she does, because when I talk about it, she doesn't seem to worry about it. Or, maybe it's just that she doesn't worry about it. I do know she doesn't know much about it because when I was diagnosed, I asked her about it and she didn't have any answers.

Anyway, what I'm getting at, is she was diagnosed at least 20 years ago. She has severe emphysema to the point that she was put on 24/7 oxygen about 4 years ago. She quit smoking about 5 years ago, and she doesn't get any exercise what so ever. But about 6 months ago, after being quit from cigarettes for almost 5 years, she was able to wean herself off the oxygen. By not smoking, her lungs were able to do some healing and she was able to breathe better.

Just because we are diagnosed with emphysema, it doesn't mean we are going to die from it. It doesn't mean we have 5-10-15-20 years left to live. We could live 30-40-50 years or more with this disease as long as we do what we can to stay smoke free, try to eat foods that are lung healthy, and try to get at least a minimum amount of exercising. Walking is one of the best exercises we could do. And it's something we could do at all times of the year too. Most major malls have special hours just for walkers before the stores open. So we can't use the excuse that's it's too hot or too cold outside, or that we don't have a treadmill.

As far as the side effects you are having, I would either call your doctor, or if your doctor is not available, or even if he/she is, ask your pharmacist about the side effects you are having. Often times a pharmacist knows more of the side effects than the doctors do. I don't take any of the meds you do. I'm on Proventil (albuterol) for my rescue inhaler, and Serevent for my powdered inhaler. I couldn't take the Advair because it made my body ache too bad. And I don't take Spiriva. Maybe because I'm still at the moderate stage, I don't know. The tingling in your extremeties, I would ask your Doc or Pharmacist about soon too. It could be nothing, because of the exercise, or it could be another side effect from the meds. Either way, because it is new since starting these meds, they need to know about it.

I have never had my oxygen saturation level checked like that so I don't know what is normal. Did he say why he was checking your oxygen level at night like that?

For better answers to these questions, you might want to write down your questions and take that list with you the next time you go to the doctor. And add to it when something else pops up that you would like to know. I'm sure you won't be the first person with a list of questions, or the last. The best patients, are the well-informed ones. Because when you don't know, you panic, and that's not good for you either.

Sorry I couldn't help you more, maybe somebody else can help you better. Please take care of yourself.
0 Kudos
spunkie

I was put on Spiriva and it locked me up tight had to go to the hospital even after giving myself all my med's and I am on all that you listed plus albultrol nebulizer comuvent inhaler (sp). and Thelopheon 😉 (sp) old med they use to use still works good with the others. watch that Spiriva I gave all my 3 month supply to the Dr.'s office to use as samples because I had already ordered it and couldn't get it stopped. I am going to have to get a list of my med's to keep by the computer because I can't spell at all.

I agree stop your worry it can cause stress relax about the tingling in your extremeties I have that too and never ask my doctor either. Sorry.

Hang in there good question none of us get the information we need when we go to the Doctor they know things and unless we do ask no one says a word I hate that they do blood work and if it is OK no one says yes it is OK
they do the breathing test and do not explain how the get the results to you they just tell you what you have it does make you angry.

Good Luck
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Hi Kellie! I just wanted to say about the tingling in your extremities....When I first started walking after not walking for at least a year regularly, my fingers and toes tingled during and after the walk. This didn't last very long, though. It seems like after a couple weeks of walking and keeping my arms bent at the elbows during the walk, it got so I no longer felt the tingling. I think it's the fact that the blood hasn't gotten there with such force in quite awhile or that the oxygen level hasn't been as high as during exercise. Then again, it could be the opposite...not enough oxygen getting to the extremeties during a much needed time. I like to think it's the first thing I mentioned. Either way, continued exercise will make it go away.
0 Kudos
kellie3

I haven't been back to my pulmonolgist to ask yet, but once in a while (not as often as when I first started) when I am walking in the mornings my fingers will still tingle. You are probably right Sylvia... my fingers are probably saying "What is this? We are not used to feeling oxygen down here!" LOL

I do have another question though that I thought one of you COPD-ers or Emphysema peeps may be able to help me with.

I have been kind of keeping mental track of my breathing problems. Days that I have problems, weather, forest fire smoke outside etc...

We have had a really dry hot summer and today suddenly a cool front came in and the humidity went from 20 to maybe 50 or 60%. I noticed it immediately when I woke up this morning. It felt like someone was sitting on my chest. I am hoarse and have little voice, and my lungs are burning. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this when the weather changes?

It just figures. We are having a blues festival tomorrow here in town and we go to it every year... Outside of course, all day. I am going to give it a shot and hope for the best.
0 Kudos
kellie3

Also, about the life expectancy.... I am not counting the days I have left or anything like that. I was just curious.

I actually have never tried to be healthier. LOL I should have done some of this 20 years ago and I wouldn't be in the shape I am now. I have started swimming at least 2 times a week, walking every morning, and eating very healthy now. I have cut out all sodium, started eating greens and leafy veggies, apples and tomatoes, very little red meat. I am taking omega fatty stuff everyday.

I am doing what I can to halt the progress of this disease. I am determined, just scared at what "could be".
0 Kudos
spunkie

Kelly you ask about dry hot summer of course it is going to make it harder to breath that is the days you stay in the air conditioner I guess I have been doing these things for so long I just know what locks me up as you call it feels like someone sitting on your chest and yes you are right even if you do not go outside my body reacts but not like if I were to go out. The hoarseness I also get never noticed what I would call burning in the lungs I have reflex and that is a burning but in between my lungs. Kelly and Please stay away from all smoke like fires or even the smoke off of candles being blowen out at a birthday party stay when that smoke does not come in your face. Glad you can still exersise this is very good for you and sounds like you have healthy eating under control that I have to work on .. DO not worry about life expectancy just take care of yourself .. I have a short story to tell you I had 3 sons and the middle one got cancer at age 15 was put on a clinical trail at JHU in Baltimore Md. like any mother all I could think about was how long I was going to have him and begged the doctors to death and of course they had no answer they hoped I would have him for a very long time one day the Chief Of Oncolgy called me aside and said I want to tell you something what do you think the statices (sp) are of you having a wreck getting here from 3 hours aways 2 times a week for 6 months or longer are .. let me tell you not good .. and I got her point I never ask how long I would have him after that she made me feel so embarased. Well to make the story short he turns 39 on Sept 1 and I will be smoke free for 100 days on his birthday kind of odd it worked out that way .. try not to worry so much sweetie.. I guess I was always so busy with my children , job and SMOKING to worry about my health until just this year and I said look at that when the doctor handed me the paper with all the things wrong with me ... not to mention depression and panic attacks, etc. well my brain listened and I am glad you are listening now ... God Bless (((HUGS)))
0 Kudos

Kellie, I can always tell if it is humid outside just from being inside. My breathing always gets labored and I have to use my inhaler more often. I can even be in an air-conditioned building. Same with when it gets too cold. I have a harder time breathing when it is too cold outside in the winter time. I have to wear a scarf over my mouth or put a gloved hand over my mouth when walking from my car to the building. It has gotten better since I hit my year quit though, so you do have something to look forward to. Maybe this winter won't be so bad for me.

I agree about the smoke. Try to limit your time in it. Or at the very least, where a paper mask to limit the amount you are breathing in. My sister had severe asthma, and she had to where a mask a lot. I think I may invest in some so that I don't have to use my gloved hand over my mouth in the winter time.
0 Kudos
spunkie

Barb you are so right about everything you said in fact winter can be harder than summer just depends on the wind and cold. I used a mask around the house but never like one in public so I like you used my scarf or held my gloved hand over my mouth I have had the acute asthma back every since I was about 42 then all the other illness followed I do not spend as much time in the hospital these days medications must be doing a good job but with all 5 things wrong it gets hard some days I am just so blessed by God to have been able to quit smoking because oxygen was next and I didn't want my family or myself to have to put up with that you both take care and know this old lady has been there and cares about you both I know what it is like to be so sick so young no fun.

Comments by ZingerBug.com
0 Kudos