cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

clippergear

Will start taking Chantix soon, any comments, concerns, suggestions?

I am in the process of reducing the amount of nicotine I take into my body but soon I will get to the zero nicotine and plan to use chantix to nhelp when I get to the zero nicotine part of quitting.  Those of you who have taken chantix, can you give me any suggestions.  Do you have any concerns?  What was your use of chantix like?  I know everyone reacts diffrerently to the drug.  But still would like to hear about your chantix experience.

Thanks.........Stacy Andersen

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
SaraSmile

You should start taking the Chantix a week before you quit smoking, that gives it a chance to get into your system.  I had a little nausea in the beginning and a couple weird-o dreams but other than that, no problem at all.  I have 109 smoke free days now because of Chantix and this place!!   

Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
Rick_M

Hi Stacy, good move to quit smoking, you will never regret leaving cigarettes behide. I took Chantix to help me quit and had no adverse side effects. I started the meds and smoked normal for 7 days and then quit on day 8 as they advise. I also joined their web site. Chantix is not a magic pill but it does take the edge off when you first quit. It is important to eat something before you take it and a large glass of water when you take it helps to avoid nausea it may cause.

Support really helps to maintain your quit. Read as much as you can on this site. WHY QUIT.com is also a site many on here visit. You can quit many on here have. Stay close, we can help you.

0 Kudos
clippergear

Thanks Sara & Rick for the information.  I'll be seeing you all around!

0 Kudos
emily5

I have taken chantix to quit smoking with and I can't praise it enough as I have used every other method known to man to no avail.  I was a heavy smoker 2.5 packs a day and I thought I was doomed to continue to smoke forever.  Chantix freed me from that trap, as well as the use of their website.  They will also give you daily calls which make you have to answer to yourself and it's a great feeling to know that when that call comes, you will be able to say you did not smoke that day.  I got a renewed sense of pride from that each time.

I didn't have any side effects that I couldn't tolerate, and the ones that I did have paled in comparison to the side effects of smoking.  You should eat something before you take it to avoid the nausea, and you may have some strange dreams, but as one of my friends who also quit using chantix put it, it's chantix theatre at night, they can be very entertaining!  🙂  I started looking forward to whatever dreams may come when i went to sleep.

Some people have been bothered by the side effects, so just make yourself familiar with what those may be, and also what the side effects of quitting are.  Some unusual things may happen to your body that may suprise you and aren't from the use of the medicine.

I wish you luck, tell yourself you can do it, and if you slip up, realize that it was only a mistake and continue trying to quit.  Many people have quit smoking and you can too.  🙂

0 Kudos
shawlan

The box says smoke for the first eight days. The doctors are saying for the first ten. My doctor wants to take it for ninety days. If I am still having trouble he will put me back on it.

Symptoms? Nausa. For me. Especialy if I take it on an empty stomach. If you experience the nausa, I suggest you eat first, then take the medication. I did not have any problems with vivid dreams from it. Some do. I suggest taking it at least three hours before you go to bed. That might help.

Good luck!!!  🙂

Shawn in Georgia

0 Kudos
Toni-k

Hi I am new to the group. Started Chantix today and made my quit date August 10, (next Saturday) which is my grandaughters 2nd birthday... I quit once for 7 years cold turkey and started again..it's now 5 years later ... thought i could have just one.. 😞 NOT  I have been smoking since early teens, I am in my early 50's and want to look and feel and smell better!! Will be in contact during the journey..

Toni

0 Kudos
lolarainne

It makes me irritable and very nauseated, but it really helps!  I fully believe it is worth it.  If you have nausea you may try to take Ginger Root capsules as needed.  They work to relieve it like nothing else!

0 Kudos
Rick_M

Lolar this group is not well attended. Click on blogs and tell all your quit smoking story...Eat something before you take Chantix. It does help but not a magic pill...ya gotta want to quit... 

0 Kudos