cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

alan-t

Motivation

Hello Fellow Ex-Smokers and Newcomers,

It is my opinion that aside from the physical cravings for a cigarette, the most strongest and hardest urge is the psychological urge to smoke. It is during these times that I remember that just a few weeks ago I was laying up in the Intensive Care Unit of a hospital due to my chronic emphysema(I had my last cigarette on February 14, 2009. I went into the hospital on February 16, 2009). I had had previous hospital admissions due to my emphysema, but this one scared me 'straight'(my motivation).

Although I had 'quit' smoking on the 14th of February, I can't say for sure that if it hadn't been for the respiratory distress and subsequent hospital admission, that I would still be smoke free. However, as stated, this time I was scared straight.

The rise in the cost of cigarettes has never deterred me from purchasing and smoking cigarettes. It only made me angry at the Federal government for raising taxes on cigarettes. Therefore, I wasn't able to use price raises as a means of motivation for me to quit.

Presently I am using the nicotine patch in my effort to quit cigarettes, however, psychological cravings still occur from time to time. As I commented to someone during an earlier posting, I am learning to flow with the 'tide' of the cravings, and not 'fight' against them. I accept the fact that I am addicted to nicotine, and I surrender to that addiction.

A 'tool' which I find helpful to me during these times, is to chew on a piece of gum. I choose regular gum but, of course, for those of you who are more health/dental concious, I would suppose that you would prefer sugarless gum.

I was a smoker for the better part of at least forty(40) years. As of today, I have not had a cigarette for 1 month and 20 days! Doing it one day/moment/second at a time. Whatever you have to do to quit, do it!

We are here to support you.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
libby

I agree with you alan. I am somewhere between 4-5 months and when that psychological urge hits its just a bad as 4-5 days. I just fight them, they do get less and less as time goes by. Sometimes I wish I could wake up a year from now and all the thought of cigarettes be gone. But, then I would miss a year of my grandkids life so for now I will just stay awake and thank God that I am alive to fight those urges when they come along. You're doing great, 2 months!
0 Kudos
michele2

It was hard at first fighting off the urge....and I am not saying it never will get that way again, but I have learned the mind is a powerful thing. I tell myself every day, several times a day, I AM NOT A SMOKER AND I DO NOT WANT A SMOKE...so far so good. I haven't wanted one in a long time
0 Kudos
teresa15

Your doing great. It's really to bad that for some of us we have to wait until we are ill before we take the warnings that cigarettes can kill us seriously. Although I knew I needed to quit, the coughing, and shortness of breath was really getting to me I continued to smoke. It was not until my Doctor told me that I would have a hear attack or stroke if I continued to smoke. I also had scaring on my lungs. I am so happy to be 39 days smoke free, and in control of my life.
0 Kudos
cynthia5

i have been smoke free for 3 weeks now.
went to the doc for a cat scan on my lungs and they found about 8 spots then had a check up and found out i have empysema.
I am on CHANTIX pills.....they do help me a lot and make the craveing easier to deal with.
But i still crave them.
I have been doing the gum/candy/food thing.
If any one has any advise on how to deal with the craveing please feel free to tell me.
this is the hardest thing i have done but after 35 years of smokeing and seeing my dad dies from smokeing it was time to stop.
thanks for any help
0 Kudos
nancy

What I'd like to know is how second hand effects other ppl? I would rather smoke. I am staying at my ex's house til prolly Wed or Thursday, and I hate his woodsmoke and him smoking around me. It irritates my eyes,nose and ears. I can not tell him to smoke outside or in the basement and it's too cold to spend most of my time outside. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos