cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

laura29

any help for the newby?

So I plan on quitting soon, i just started this web site and was wondering if anyone had any advice, it's a lot easier to get advice and support from ex smokers then it is from my boyfriend who has never touched a cigarette in his life.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DOCmarkC

Sure. This is a great place to get advice. Remember to pick and choose what works for you. The important thing is to stop smoking and begin to heal.
Myself, I suggest you pick a day. Smoke your last cigarette before bed like normal, and then don't have another. That way you sleep off the first 8 hours or so. after 72 hours the physical withdraws are over with unless you are using a nicotine replacement such as the patch, or gum.

If you are using patches or gum, it is important to not cheat while using them. I feel that smoking while using the patch will make things worse and not better. If you cheat on the patch, then take it off for the rest of the day... start tomorrow fresh.

If you are planning to "Cut back". then from now on, smoke different. Do NOT sit and enjoy a smoke ever again. No smoking in a car or while watching TV. Stand. Face a brick wall. If you smoke right-handed, then use your left. Light it, smoke it quick and go. No fiddling, no smoke rings, no fun. Administer the nicotine and move on. remove the "Fun" from the habit while you cut back.

Beyond that... Hang out on this site. Tell everyone you know that you are quitting. Commit to it and be accountable to yourself.

After all, it is you that matters in this decision right?
0 Kudos