cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nancy_o

I think I'm nuts!

I must be nuts for what I am about to try. First I'm day 12 and I am going to attempt to diet! My son's wedding is in June and I need to drop some weight. At first I thought I could stop stop smoking if need be but the news this morning reminded me of one of the reasons I stopped to begin with - the cost of cigarettes. Wish me luck as I embark on two major life altering events at once! Any of the 'seasoned' ex's who may have succeeded in both, I could use some words of wisdom. You all have a GREAT SMOKE-FREE DAY. 🙂
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
nancy_o

Wow some great advice here. When I stopped smoking 12 days ago it was cold turkey and I have those moments that I really struggle (I'm also the one who wrote last week saying they needed a parole officer to keep tabs on me since I live alone!). I really want both (smoke free & weight loss) but if I have to give one up it will be the dieting for the time being. I have a HUGE yard and now that spring has sprung I am starting to work outside more with tilling and push mowing (my rider is getting tuned up). I guess I was just stressing thinking about things. And most importantly I do not want to stop stop smoking - I feel and breath so much better (also smell better!). Thank you all for your words. Have a GREAT SMOKE-FREE DAY. 🙂
0 Kudos
charmayne

Hi Nancy! I am going on day 13 and am proud to say that I will be 2 weeks smoke free as of tomorrow. I also am attending a wedding in Jan 2010 and I will be a bridesmaid. I will begin with my first Weight Watchers meeting on Saturday. I see it this way, if we can quit smoking, we can do anything with put our minds to! I would love to keep you up to date on my weight loss as well as you can keep me up to date on yours if you would like! Good luck and I know you can do it!
0 Kudos
toni-buys

First of all, conquering both at once is a huge risk but the main thing is to stay on the quit for smoking. Second, drink lots of water and Walk, Walk, Walk. I quit 2 years ago and am now embarking on the weight loss because I desperately want to succeed at the quit and decided I didn't care about the weight. You can do whatever you set out to do if you have a plan. Good luck!
0 Kudos
DOCmarkC

Alan Carr wrote a great book.. My wording my be worng, but I think the title is "The easy way to quit smoking"
Anyway. His book is what Ellen and Ashton Kucher used to quit. I read it AFTER I quit and I so agree with what he has to say.
What is most relevant for you here is that he cautions agains replacing smoking with ANYTHING. This includes nicotine replacements, gum, food, drinking, etc.
The cause of a desire to smoke is the last cigarette you smoked. By quitting, you have NOT GIVEN ANYTHING UP!... you have killed an addiction and created freedom. There is nothing to "Replace" Be happy that you aren't under the control of the nicotine addicion and if you want to diet, then diet! Smoking should not have anything to do with your decisions ever again. Do not let the fact that you quit smoking effect your life in any way. Just don't smoke.
0 Kudos
randi

Wow, that is a very good way of putting it. Makes a lot of sense and broadens my horizons!

Thanks
0 Kudos
stacey-d.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! When I quit before I lost 9 lbs in the first two months. It is doable. Just write down eveything you put in your mouth. It makes you aware of everything you are eating and it is there in black & white.It actually works. It's all about portion control. Cut what you are eating down and take walks. Increase your water intake too. I'm here to tell ya it worked. I am disabled so I couldn't exercize. So if you add a walk in there too it'll come off even faster. The water intake helps a lot with the smoking thing too. I may not be a "seasoned" ex yet as I am struggling still but I have been there and it worked. Take it for what it's worth. I hope you take it with an open mind. I was not smoking while I dropped the weight. It is doable. Remember--you are a winner!
0 Kudos
heidi8

Nancy - don't think your nuts, but for me, I'd wait. Wedding is early June or late? Also depends on how much you want to drop and how active or not you are. As with any diet, you should also check w/ MD B4 doing anything too kooky - ya know the Bratwurst diet, or the M&M diet...that sort of nonsense and as for physical fitness, you don't want to wind up spraining, straining, or breaking something and have that be an annoyance or worse. I sorta agree with DOC, but we are each our own strange little being. You know yourself better than any of us do - if you think you can do this without it affecting you quit in anyway...then go for it! All of us ladies want to look nice for a family wedding - especially if we are the mother of the groom...I won't be for some years yet, but still will want to be "purty" on that day. Good luck whichever way you go and just keep on keeping on with the quit.
0 Kudos
kim30

you worded that very well DOCmark. I actually finished Allen's book the evening of my quit (3/14/09) and have lost 3 lbs. Never would have imagined that would happen 🙂
0 Kudos
donna34

Hey, Im doing it too. I quit last thurs. and started watching what I ate immediately. Lost 2 pounds already, its a start. I drink plenty of water take vitamins and added b-complex ,really helped with my energy. Good luck!!!
0 Kudos