cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

donna34

Obsessed!!

Its been 27 days since I quit and it seems like I think more now about smoking now than I did the first week of quitting. I cant get it out of my mind, will it ever stop?? Those thoughts of well maybe I will quit next month keep popping up. I soo wish I could forget I ever smoked. My brother-in-law actually told me Im not as fun as when I smoked...yeh. Well, moving on to day 28:)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
bobby-brown

I'm on Day 38 and I can certainly identify with what you are saying. It does seem that the thoughts are stronger as the quit time gets longer, but keep moving forward. The thoughts do start to lose intensity and diminish quicker with each smoke free day. How much fun will you be walking around wheeling an Oxygen tank?

Stick to the fight when you're hardest hit
It's when things seem worst, that
You Must Not Quit (quit quitting that is)
0 Kudos
donna52

Hi Donna, It has been just over a month for me too, and I am obsessed with thoughts of smoking as well. It seems like it gets worse instead of better. Dont worry about your bro in law...Im sure Im not as much fun to be around either but you will get better 🙂
0 Kudos
donna34

Thanks everyone, you really do help. My husband is very supportive, but he has never smoked so he really has no idea.
0 Kudos
heidi8

Oh my....I just kinda blogged about this in re: the husband portion...that is NONSENSE - it's not that you are less fun, it's that you may not be doing some of "life" the same way w/out the smokes....and yes, I'm not quite as far on THIS quit, but the last time I was 3-4 months into my quit and BAM! - I can't even tell you now what it was but, there was some POWERFUL trigger and I had not prepared myself and examined this whole smoking thing the way I did this time....down the gopher hole I went! It was NOT fun or funny and neither was I; continually "beating myself up" for failing that quit...so, don't listen to the naysayers and just keep going. Yes, the cravings will always be there, I do believe that, it's just how we are prepared for and deal with them that makes the difference. You CAN do this, are DOING this and just KEEP ON!! Bless you! I don't think anyone who has never smoked can come anywhere close to getting any of this...it's seems absurd in some ways to them....we know it's very real and sometimes a REAL PAIN IN THE ....(fill in your own body part) 🙂 Hang tough honey!
0 Kudos
pam7

Hi Donna,

Its been 62 long days for me and i still want that cig every day. I just find something else to occupy my mind. I have even thought about buying a pack, so that i could smoke JUST ONE (which we all know wouldn't happen). I am beating this thing one day at a time and its all that anyone of us can do. Hang in there. If you slip, get right back on that horse, don't let it take you down. Keep fighting, it is so worth it. My husband quit smoking 22 years ago and he still thinks about them, just not as much.
0 Kudos
joanne

My last smoke was on March 10, So that's a bit over 10 weeks, maybe 72 days without smoking. I probably think about smoking maybe once or twice a day, but the only SERIOUS cravings I get are after a cry... I picked a very high-stress time in my life to quit, but figured when would there ever be a GOOD time?

Husband has not once mentioned it with an "I'm so proud of you" but he never nagged me to quit either. But I KNOW he is very pleased I did because he always let me know in smaller ways how he hated it. He never smoked either.

I quit drinking nearly 21 years ago. Needed to get some time under my belt from the last one, it did get easier. I agree, you find other things to replace those "fixes." And it does eventually become a non-option, you just DON'T pick up the first one!!!

Hang in there and stay with it.
0 Kudos