cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kristie2

Pregnant Smokers

Is there anyone out there who is pregnant and trying to quit or has quit? I have cut down to 3 or 4 a day and want to quit all together but am having a hard time.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
kristie2

I wish you the best of luck also. I hope I can do this. I think we need all the support we can get!! I am almost 24 weeks. We are having another girl. We already have 2. This is our last baby and I feel that if I don't quit now then I never will. How about you?
0 Kudos
amanda57

Hey you--
I have 2 little boys and found out about 2 weeks ago that I am expecting a 3rd baby too. My story is that I quit with my first, then started again, tried like HELL to quit with my second but only succeeded in cutting down to 2 cigarettes a day. Felt guilty throughout the whole pregnancy and so when I found out about this new little 'surprise' decided this time I just HAD to quit. Cutting down is a really good thing to do. I don't want to encourage you not to quit but I also know it's bad to put too much stress on yourself when your pregnant and if cutting down is the best you can do it's good for your baby to smoke as little as possible...but I know you can quit altogether!! Once that pregnancy nose kicks in for you you might just find it a little easier than you thought...the smell of cig smoke becomes SUPER offensive to me in my 2 month of pregnancy (with the my first 2 and with this one as well) and if that happens to you too it makes it alot easier. I had my quit date set for sept 15th but decided to jump in and quit yesterday instead. For me, the cutting down part was more torture than the actual quitting has been...but that's just me. My advice...take it one day at a time, cut down as far as you can and when your feeling strong...quit. It may seem impossible but you can do it and it's good you have joined this website because there are a TON of people on here just waiting to offer you all the support you need! I was TERRIFIED to quit this time but honestly it has been easier than I worked it up to be in my head. It's also something that i've found is ALOT easier to do for your baby than even for yourself. Just be careful not to start again after the baby comes if that is your no 1 motivating factor. I am here for you if you need ANYTHING!!! Just holla!! Good Luck!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
0 Kudos
kristie2

Thank you soooo much Amanda for the encouraging words. How much did your baby weigh and was he healthy? I smoked with my other two as well and they were both 7 lbs and healthy....but you never know. Better to be safe than sorry. It is so hard for me to quit. I have never been able to quit completly and that really makes me so mad!!!! I hate that it has that kind of hold on me. All we can do is try our best and pray. Good Luck to you and congrats on your new baby!!!!!

Kristie
0 Kudos
amanda57

Luckily yes my baby was very healthy but I spent 9 months of heartache and worry not knowing if he would be and feeling guilty every time I lit up. I just KNEW I couldn't go through another pregnancy like that. There is no sure fire way to know if and how the cigs affect your unborn baby and I just couldn't take the CHANCE that something would go wrong and you know, even if it was something that had NOTHING to do with smoking, I would still spend the rest of my life feeling guilty and to blame. Just a badge of motherhood i guess...we have so many other things to feel guilty about as mothers and women, why add smoking, something we CAN control, to the mix? At least that is my line of thinking. I have always had the same feelings of anger over not being able to quit myself...like 'how stupid can i be?" like i might as well walk into a gas station with a bat and say to the clerk "Hey if I come in and pay you $5 a day will you please beat me to death slowly?" LOL! Sounds ridiculous when it's put that way huh? Congrats on your new baby and my advice for today is to take the "I can't quit completely" thought outta your head and replace it with "I can FIGHT this I AM strong enough to quit!!" Maybe picture a giant cig strangling you every time you want to smoke or something, I've heard visualization works well for some..hahaha! I'll leave you with this awesome statement that another wonderful person on this site told me when I first joined, it's what I hold onto during moments when I'm struggling and want to smoke.

If I'm willing to DIE for my children, I'm willing to LIVE for my children!!!!
True, and powerful don't cha think?
Write anytime
love
me
0 Kudos
kristie2

You are so right!!!!!! Btw, you are a great motavator!! I am trying so hard. I have had 3 cigs today which is better than yesterday. I'm taking it day by day. Thanks for the support!!
0 Kudos
rachel17

I didn't smoke when I was pregnant , but I am a mother who just quit smoking again. I just wanted to commend all of you for trying to do the best thing for yourself and your children. I think that 's why we all joined this group. Congratulations and the best of luck to all of you! I can tell that you all would do anything for your kids. Do it for yourselves too. I think the best gift we can give ourselves and our families is "us" healthy and strong.
0 Kudos
kristie2

Thanks Rachel, I find that every day is a struggle for me. I feel like I am making progress cutting back to 3 or 4 a day and plan to cut it down from there. Thanks for the support!!!
0 Kudos
rachel17

Is this the first time you have asked for help? I believe that may make all the difference for you it is for me. Good Luck. Let me know if I can do anything?
0 Kudos
amanda57

Cutting down that far is awesome and difficult...GOOD FOR YOU!!! I think like I said before that the cutting down was harder on me than the quitting...listen to me i'm only on day 5...but i'm officially QUIT!! Woo hoo!! As difficult as it is it is also very empowering in alot of ways. To finally take back control of my own life. Plus i'm convinced if i can do this, i can do ANYTHING, Next month...i'm gonna teach myself to fly....it'll be great!!! haha haha. Okay okay maybe flying is outta the question...but i'm sure you get my point. Keep up the great work...we are all so very proud of you!!!!!!
0 Kudos