cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ali2

2 weeks today!!!! How do you keep going?

YEAH!!!!!! I am so grateful to finally feel like I have gotten this thing. It has taken me numerous tries and numerous attempts at quitting to finally be able to stay quit. The longest time I had was 50 days but I was shaking, rattling and rolling the entire time. I feel more confident, determined and very goal oriented. I do have my moments of insanity where I am thinking it is a perfect idea to smoke...and that scares me. I do not ever want to go back. I have freedom today as those of you know who have more time than me. I love not smelling like smoke and not going outside in the cold, rain and snow. I have a chance at gaining some health back at age 37. I pray I do.

With all this said, I was wondering if you would share with me.......how to I keep going? What keeps you hanging on? What holds the determination? What gets you thru the awful days when nothing has gone right? How do you get thru sadness and anger? I have always believed that when we share with one another how we get thru every day life with each other when living with addiction.....that is how we all stay addiction free, I hope you will share with me.

Ali

My Kolbie watching TV.....: )

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
edith2

The thing that keeps me going is that I feel so good being a non-smoker. I didn't think I could ever quit again after trying 3 times, and I believe that this time has been a charm for me. The benefits are better than I ever could imagine. I don't have to worry about having money to buy cigarettes. I don't cough anymore. I'm no longer a slave to my addiction. Smoking no longer controls my life. I love the freedom I have. I can't think of any reason to smoke anymore. There is none. Great post Ali! That's such a cute picture of your cat watching TV!
0 Kudos

Ali, the thing that kept me going is having people out there that knew I quit, smokers and non smokers who would check on me. Whether they were supporting me or just waiting for me to slip I felt accountable....

I got to the point where I realized whatever was wrong, a cigarette would not change anything about my situation but it would make me feel worse so I looked elsewhere to feel better. Something to distract me until it passed even if it was just filling up on water.

You have to be on your guard so triggers that do hit, you do not fall for them. Like at gas station, as some of the old timers have said as the year passes you will do things for the first time without a cigarette, so you have to prepare yourself for that. Or I did and still do..

If all else fails deep breathe like you are smoking a cigarette it is actually a better high because it is all you...

Be proud for how far you have come!!! Your statement on how you get it this time around should give you some peace...
0 Kudos