cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

ladybug-jo

This is my very first visit

I purchased the Chantix starter kit three months ago and have yet to open it. Don't ask me why because I would give you a laundry list of excuses as to why I haven't. But, that is what this is all about; recognizing that excuses are nothing but a self-built wall keeping me enslaved to a nasty and cosily habit. Well...I thought I would jump in here and see what this program has to offer.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
lorelai

That's okay. I bought a box of patches in January and still have them, unopened, in my cabinet.
This site will help you so much if you keep on checking it out. I wasn't able to commit to quitting for real
until I joined it and began getting input from all the other smokers out there. Then I went and got a
prescription for Chantix and began taking it. Today is my quit date!! I'm doing okay, it helps that when
you smoke on Chantix it makes all your cigs taste stale!!
Good luck!
0 Kudos
liz19

Hi! Good luck! I started taking Chantix 4 days ago, and have already noticed cigs don't taste "good" to me any more. I have 4 more days to my quit date, and am nerves as heck! Good luck to you and hope it all worksfor you this time
0 Kudos
sandi6

I am a firm believer that until you are READY - there is no need to try to quit. I enjoyed smoking for 39 years, and until this year, I wasn't ready - so just make sure you are ready, and then you won't set yourself up for failure. Make sure you identify your "stressors" too, then avoiding them makes it a lot easier.

Don't get discouraged !
Sandi
0 Kudos
ladybug-jo

Thank-you for the comments and encouragement. One of my biggest hurdles/stressor is my husband. The minute he hears I am considering quitting, the first thing out of his mouth is 'you'll never quit.' Yet, he is constantly bitching about my smoking. Throughout the years I have changed my behavior. I smoke outside. I no longer smoke in our vehicle, which has been over five years. I don't smoke around my grandchildren. I don't drink or hang out in bars, so avoiding those places are no problem. If I am with a group, even if it is outdoors, I ask if it will bother anyone if I light up. We are really hard pressed to even find a place that allows smoking anymore. In our town, it sounds like they are trying to ban smoking in any public place, on the sidewalk, parks, etc. I get the message. IMHO, I think they are going a bit over-board. I have tried everything from the patches, hypnosis, and even acupuncture. I have to admit there are times when I enjoy smoking. Even if I go a few days without, my husband will do his best to chide me into lighting up. No, he doesn't smoke. He maybe did for about a year or so a long time ago. So, he has no clue how difficult it is to give up something I have done give or take some 35 years.
So, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to cope with a non-supportive spouse, I'd be happy to heard about them. It is not like a friend or someone who you can say 'Bye' I'll see you when the worst is over.

Jo Ellen
0 Kudos