cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

quit4melody

Friends who smoke

So what do you all do with your friends who smoke? My best friend smokes and smokes in her home. We are also usually drinking when we hang out. I am scared to hang out with her! Any suggestions??
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sandy4

I have found I can't hang with smoking friends for the first few days. I have always slipped or relapsed when they were around. This time I plan on telling them I really NEED their support and if we are together to please not smoke around me or where I can see it. I have a friend who I am going to ask if she wants to quit with me and be "quit buddies" together. It is hard trust me I know.
0 Kudos
laura39

Hello, I am new here but I wanted to say that this is a major concern of mine too. Every time I get together with my friends we are having drinks and smoking. When I was pregnant it wasn't an issue because I wasn't drinking and knew I couldn't smoke anyway. As soon as we hung out after my daughter was born my quit went out the window. I think it is important not to drink for a while. I have decided that I won't go over to my friends' houses until I am secure in my quit. I have made plans to go out to dinner in a few weeks with them and a girls night out to the movies. I am hoping it will be easier not to smoke since we won't be in a place where we can smoke. So that is my suggestion! Hang out with your friend outside of her home and do things with her that makes it harder to smoke. I hope this helps
0 Kudos
quit4melody

Thanks for the advise! I will have to try that. Her and her boyfriend smoke inside so it's really hard to go to her house, even if I don't have the desire to smoke, because it's soo smoky and I leave reeking like a nasty ashtray!
0 Kudos
kate

Since she is your friend she should know that you are trying to quit....ask her to quit with you....easier with two than one....the two of you can be "quit buddies!" That is how I finally got the will to quit.....and if she isn't ready to quit then ask her to respect your decision and try her hardest to not smoke around you.
0 Kudos