cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

susan67

Has anyone had worsened psychiatric problems?

Hi, just joined ex. Heavy heavy smoker here. Desperate to at least cut down. I was so excited about starting Chantix but within 3 days I had to stop. Not because oth the more common side effects, but a terrible psychiatric reaction including constant suicidal thoughts, hallucinations etc. I do have history of bipolar disorder but never ever felt this bad! Soon as I stopped taking it, I felt ok again. It sure did work on the desire to not smoke. I am so disappointed, have been advised not to try it again by my drs. Just curious has anyone experienced this type of reaction?
Will definitely need an aid because of the sheer addiction aspect; any recommendations on success with inhaler? Thanks so much, everyone
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
debbie11

My son is bi-polar and just finished Chantix. He did wonderful on them other than complaints of stomach problems and farting all the time. He is 30 yrs old. He has been smoke free for 3 mths.
I have heard other stories of suicidal tendencies while on Chantix. Sorry it didnt work for you but checking with your doctors was the right thing to do.
Try some other products and I wish you best of luck on quiting.
0 Kudos
denverdeb

you may speak to your doc about using chantix along with wellbutrin or another antidepressent. I use both and it works fantastic. I have also heard great things about the inhaler and commit ... you may even try welbutrin with a nic aid... good luck
0 Kudos
susan67

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to talk to dr. about a RX for inhaler and I will be visiting the site for support. Everyone seems so nice and non judgmental....I have smoker's shame & need to get over it in order to quit. Best to you!
0 Kudos
susan67

Debbie, major kudos to your son! I sure wish I could have continued since I could tell immediately it would work. I'd take farting over smoking any day!. Glad to know that chantix is tolerated by some folks with psychiatric issues. I have struggled with bipolar disorder for many many years. Sounds like your son is doing so well. For now I'll take the advice and try patch or inhaler, if that doesn't help enough maybe I can try chantix again when I'm more stable or on different meds with different side effects . I wondered if certain meds had anything to do with the bad reactions to chantix. For me, I'd had to have close supervision from my doc! Thanks for your repy and best to you and your son!
0 Kudos
sherry11

Reading everyones comments on different things, I feel very fortunate. I have not suffered any side effects. I too am bi-polar and am also taking citelapram. I do wish you all who have both these issues the best of luck. I do have one question to the group though. I am into my 3rd week of chantix and I have to admitt that I do not really feel I have cravings for the cigs, and I do still smoke. My question is, am I going to reach the point so many of you talk about and that is they taste terrible?? How many smoked more then the first 8 days and how long did you smoke into it?
Thank you for your support.
0 Kudos
susan67

Hi, took your advice. Doc wants me to try Wellbutrin with Nic Patch for now. She feels Chantix is too risky for me in my current situation. I hope I can try it again, at least I will know quite quickly whether to stop it. Thanks
0 Kudos
twlghtangel

hi your not alone,,i also had a serve reaction on chantix but it was after i got off of it,,,i quit smoking for 63 day,,then went off chantix and my world went haywire plus hubby got sick back on smokes,,tonight i read a book my friend on here sent me a link to,,and i've been quit for 1 hour now and i'm staying that way,,cold turkey im also"was" a very heavy smoker... good luck keep in touch..we can beat this
0 Kudos