cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

spring2

no more fun..

i feel that there won't be any fun anymore w/cigarettes. i love to smoke and hope to find other things that i enjoy..any suggestions?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
donna73

I have been going for a walk which I don't really enjoybut it does refresh my memory as to why I want to quit so I can breathe so you might try that
0 Kudos
julie19

Hi, Im new here.
Im 45 yrs old and have been smoking for 29 yrs ! I have two older children ages 19 and 21 (boys) and we just adopted a little girl who is 2 yrs old. It just hit me about 6 months ago that I might not be around to see her married and decided to do everything in my power to try and stay healthy from now on (although it may be too late) So the first thing I wanted to do was to quit smoking. Now, I'm the type of person who had to have a cig before I even got out of bed in the AM, so I did not really have confidence in myself to be able to do it. I asked my doctor for Chantix and started to take it. After two weeks on the meds, I felt like I think I may be able to do this. Its amazing, I have not had a cig for 3 days. Thats a miracle for me, trust me ! I just keep telling myself that Im doing it for my daughter, plus I have the beginnings of COPD and I dont want to walk around with an oxygen tank on my back for the rest of my life. And the biggest thing that keeps me going is that I just watched my hubands best friends wife die of lung cancer. I can tell it is a painful and HORRIBLE way to die.
0 Kudos
spring2

i've used chantix before in the past as well and it works great. i got over confident and thought i didn't need it anymore past the first month. that was a big mistake. next time i will use it for the full 3 months as recomended. i go to pick up my script on Monday. I want to be around for my kids and want to save the $ i spend on cigarettes to use towards these crazy gas prices!!!
0 Kudos
carrie14

This will be my 6th quit attempt, I really feel like this ones it though! What really keeps me going is the desire to find out what a non smokers "I feel fine" really feels like! I have a 2 year old son also who Im trying to set a good example for and I cant very well say"those are yucky" while Im puffin away! 🙂 If youre ever feelin rough and need a shoulder let me know, Im really gun ho about this and it also helps me through knowing I can help someone else!
0 Kudos
julie19

Really? If you stop taking it after a month, you could go back to smoking? I was told that the Chantix blocked the nicotine from your brain and that after 3 days of no nicotine you no longer had it in your system. Although I think Chantix has a little more in it then a nicotine blocker because I dont have the antsy feeling of, I need a cig. It takes the anxiety (sp?) out of it too, I'm so calm about it. But the Chantix makes me sick to my stomach so I was planning on stopping after being on it a full month. I guess I will keep taking it for the full 3 months because I dont want to take any chances on starting again.
0 Kudos
spring

you know they'd make my stomach sick for about 30 mins after taking them. i would only take them once a day right before i went to bed and it was bareable. it also saved me $ only taking one a day instead of 2. it does say on the package that you show take it for 3 months. i thought i could stop using them and not smoke but feel now i was too hastey. Next time I'll be sure to take them longer. try taking them every other day. Don't break them in half because they're time released and the coating is important and if you break it it doesn't work right.
0 Kudos
carrie14

Personnally, I enjoy the fact that Im extending my life expectancy! Dont fret too much, things will come to you, all that time youve spent smoking over the years will soon fade and become replaced with things, maybe not as "fun", but sooo much better for you. Theres not one single thing I can tell you to replace your habit with, but what works for me is just thinking about how great I feel that Im doing something thats better for me, Im doing something thats going to make me feel better, health wise and mentally. You can do it! There are over 1500 people on this site with you doing it, so use this wonderful resource and talk through it with these wonderful people that are all reaching out to each other to get through this. Good Luck- Carrie
0 Kudos
spring2

thanks I appreciate that. i've tried to quit smoking so many times in the past. i hope this time it takes.
0 Kudos
hothula

aloha again, quitting takes patience, its a journey and takes time. stay on the program it will work if you give it a chance. it takes practice, don't short change yourself
0 Kudos