cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

heids077

Time frame?

I am a believer that Chantix takes away the mental cravings...I quit on October 10th-- a week ago-- and even though it is easier to say "no" to smoking, I still really want to smoke. I know that it is mind over matter... but when do you actually reach the point that it is no longer appealing? I am afraid that if I have to deal with this carrot dangling in front of my face forever it will make things miserable....but for how long? Any advice?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
sylvie

Hello Heids,
You have to give it time, I know this is not the response your are looking for....
You quit Oct 10th, so , do you see a difference in your craving from the first day? A little I am sure, that is how it goes.
We are addicts, we in some way or other, depending on different persons,want to smoke again, maybe not "want" but
will feel like we do. So, you have to be strong, think positive thoughts, (This is not just bla bla...) remember why you quit, reinforce this on you.
You are not old, hard to see on the picture, but you say you want kids.....so it might even be easier on you, less time smoking and all....
Congrats on you first week, isn't that something? Wow, how proud you, must you feel, and when you do think of smoking, turn it around, tell yourself, that NO you won't and don't want to smoke because_______________ fill in your reasons, and smile smile!
Chantix is NOT a miracle drug, it will ease a bit period, the rest is call willpower, and you have it, since you have been through the roughest week of you life, no? We can all do this, no excuses,no more!
0 Kudos
heids077

Thanks for the advice-- the urges come and go (not quite as bad as day one, but close!) I think a lot of it is because my husband still smokes and I almost feel like I am missing out (maybe on bonding time?) I know that I'm not but I get grouchy easy--especially with him now! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm just really hoping that it gets easier and I have more control over these moods!
0 Kudos
sylvie

know what you mean, my hubby smokes, i asked him to wash is face and hands well before he comes to bed, if not a shower so i don't smell his last cigarette on him, lol, but he is realy cool about it........he actualy went to the doctor this week for prescription on chantix, so there is hope!
Only you has the control over you, mind over matter, but you really have to apply this on yourself.
I remember my first week off the cigs, I was so high on life, found out I could be the boss of me!!wash all my clothes ect ect and was so damm proud, still am lol
0 Kudos
cindy16

Hi, Todauy is my first day of my quit. Last week I was going too. I had 5 cigarettes in 4 days. So I cut down considerrably. I really have kicked the morning craving. While I was on chantix I kept stretching when I was going to have my morning cigarette. Do alot of thinks before I had it. The car is my trigger.I work part time so at wokr I'm good. Hoe I'm pretty good. It is getting colder here in Michigan. Do not like going outside to smoke. in the cold. I have to try to conquer the car. I hace gum and I bought wome white chocolate kisses to eat. My husband smokes too. So that will make it more diffiicult. We bowl in2 weeks. That might be a challenge. I told myself each craving is very short. Get tthrough each craving. I read on the computer hours, days etc how your body improves not smoking. I will think of that too, Cindy
0 Kudos
donna25

Sylvie, I just wanted to thank you for the pep talk you gave to Heids. It spoke to me as well. I think the absence of that old fiendish friend (cig) is my weakness. I agree w/you fully tho' when it comes to positive thoughts a thet smile/smile/smile,,,,,,thats what helps me through the worst cravings. I also found that a shower can be real soothing. And you can also employ scream therapy w/out bothering anyone ; ) Thanks again
0 Kudos
sylvie

my pleasure Donna!
ho yesssss the scream therapy, i do that one in my car, i do also the popsicle therapy, the oral part of me gets real happy, then!!
Now i have to do lots of exercise, yep i gained weight....we all do, it is not fun,i knew going in it would happen, so something else to keep me occupy and stay quit!
good luck to you Donna, we are all here for you!
0 Kudos
cindy16

Today is day 9. It really has not seemed appealing to me at all. My husband smokes and I do not even want one. I bowl this Saturday that will be my test. My quit is really going great and much easier than I ever imagined.Hang in there.
Cindy.
0 Kudos
donna25

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh oral fixation. That sems to be a huge side effect of the stop puffing fiasco. I have sugar free popsicles, cinnamon sticks(Real good steeped in warm apple cider, and sucked dry!) sugar free cinnamonhard candies, tooth picks, pretzel sticks and clay and a rubiks cube and I started my first afgan. Busy hands are not yellowed by cancer sticks! Havent gained yet but fortunatly I can use the extra-in moderation of course. It is nice checking out the messages, and using up the time to stay away from the dreaded C's.
Again thanks Sylvie
0 Kudos
cindy16

How are you doing?

Cindy
0 Kudos