cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JoAnne's Story

Well, I started smoking off and on after graduating from high school. All through my marriage I smoked until my children developed asthma while were were stationed in Germany. My youngest son suffered the most and my husband and i decided we needed to quit smoking to save our sons' lives. We quit then. When we came stateside, my sons didn't suffer as much with asthma problems. I took up smoking again because of the stress in my marriage. My husband didn't. We went through a lot of ups and downs before and after my husband returned from Desert Storm. Our marriage was over. I raised my young sons on my own from the ages of 8 and 11 until the became grown men, now 25 and 28. My youngest son who is currently in the military has always let me know how much he loves me and cares for me. When his older brother left (he was also military), the youngest stood by me and we helped each other. My youngest has been after me for years to quit smoking. This past year he has really let me have it. I told him that I would quit when I was ready to quit. He sent me some "Commit Lozenges" to take. I told him I might use them. I decided on my own that I would ask God to help me. I knew I could not do it on my own. I prayed about it and I noticed how I was slowly smoking less and less and then I saw the becomeAnEx commercials. I joined and then one evening (May 15, 2008) at 8:15 p.m. I took my last puff. I threw away the empty pack, and the ashtray and anything that would remind me of smoking. The rest is history. Today, I've been smoke free for 20 days
6 Replies
doreen1

Thank you for telling your story, JoAnne. I can almost hear the nicodemon telling you when you came back stateside that your son's asthma was caused by something else in Germany. He is sneaky that way and then to throw in the marriage troubles on top of it, the nicodemon sure had a stronghold on you. Congratulations on raising two fine young men alone and having the courage to give up the cigarettes once and for all. You are truly an inspiration. And congratulations on 20 days smoke free! Keep up the good work!!

Photobucket

Thank you Doreen. You're Awesome too!
0 Kudos
val_b

You have me all teared up, almost 21 days for you, congrats
0 Kudos
doreen1

Just wanting to Photobucket some of these older stories back up to the top
0 Kudos
valorie

Congrats to you Joanne!!! Its stories like urs that helps us decide that we can do it! Thank you!
0 Kudos

Thanks Valorie. I do hope my story helps you on your quit journey.

I have been quit for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 27 seconds (46 days). I have saved $52.61 by not smoking 233 cigarettes. I have saved 19 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/14/2008 8:15 PM
0 Kudos