cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gina20

Please help

I am new to this site. I find myself all the time reading other people's comments and trying to put them to use in my battle. I have a few questions that I hope someone out there can help me with. I have noticed how people seem to know exactly how long they have quit for, how much money they have saved and how much more time they have added to their lives. Is there a formula that I can find somewhere out there to help me to do this. I think if I could see that everyday, it would be another to tool that I could use in my battle. Please let me know if anyone out there knows how I can find this tool. I am very determined this time, the only problem is that I still like to smoke. I wish I could say that I hated it, but I only hate it sometimes, and that quickly goes away. I have now set a few goals for myself in the future. I have found how much more relaxed I can feel this time about quitting versus all the other times. Reading the people talk about taking it 5 minutes at a time or even an hour at a time seems to ease my mind alot more than thinking about forever right away. I am ready to take any and all advice that I can receive.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Hey Gina, I don't know about that particular tool or formula but I too, feel it would be beneficial. My quit date is 6/24/08.

As far as the still liking to smoke, have you watched the videos explaining how the addiction works with the receptors in the brain and the triggers?

For me, even though I know smoking is bad and I know it's an addiction, watching those videos made me really relate to those cravings differently. It's as though I now know them to be 'false friends' and see through their charade...sounds like I'm referring to people doesn't it?

Honestly, though, viewing those cravings as something real and tangible rather than an idea or thought really helps me. I just try to visualize them as the worst bad guy, villain, monster, whatever!

For example, scary movies creep me out so if I imagine that Freddy Krueger is trying to get me to smoke then I know it's not just bad, it's scary-won't-wake-up-from-the-nightmare-bad! lol

Anyways, Good luck!
0 Kudos
melissa9

here is the site I got mine from http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/
0 Kudos

Thanks Melissa! I'm downloading mine now 🙂
0 Kudos
tara2

I too really enjoyed to smoke still and that was why I was very inconfident in my quit. I am now getting through day eight of no smokes, though, and can say this is the best thing I have EVER done for myself (even better then a new do, haha!). These boards really helped me out. I have used just about every trick mentioned on here from the 10 minutes rule to smoking straws and have found every one of them to be helpful to me at some point in the past eight days. You can lean on the group here to offer you the support and encouragement you need, as well as the embarrassment you will feel in admitting it here when you do slip up. You can do this. Develop your plan and stick to it!
0 Kudos
gina20

Thank you for the advice. I am looking for the videos now. Where are the videos or what are they listed under?

Thanks again,
Gina
0 Kudos
gina20

Thank you so much. I have already downloaded it and am ready to go. Today I am supposed to quit smoking. I really, really, really want to make it this time. As you can tell, I am already a nervous wreck over this. I just don't want to give in to my mind telling me that I need those cigarettes anymore. I have to be stronger than that.

Thanks,
Gina
0 Kudos